Smallest species of puffer

boledle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Bay Point, CA
Are there any marine puffer species that stay under 5"? And are they all as mean and aggressive as freshwater puffers?

seltzerd

Feeder Fish
Feb 26, 2008
st louis
I know a valentini puffer and saddle stay under 5 inches, but mean in the sense it will eat all your snalls, crabs, etc. somewhat less aggressive than some other puffers, but still aggressive

boledle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Bay Point, CA
seltzerd;1657112; said:
I know a valentini puffer and saddle stay under 5 inches, but mean in the sense it will eat all your snalls, crabs, etc. somewhat less aggressive than some other puffers, but still aggressive
cool. well, I'm not worried about the invertebrates, but 'mean' meaning spends most of its time chasing tank mates around taking bites out of their fins. do valentinis and saddles get along with clowns and tangs?

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
larger clowns definately, but the occelarus and percula may fall victim, a big tank (which is needed for the tang any) will help with this.
make sure to get plenty of good LR to give the puffer something to nip and snack on...
any sharpnosed puffer will do, i likt eh blue/pink spotted and the figi puffer, but you really can't go wrong, i think they all have the same care requirements

boledle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Bay Point, CA
Great info. thanks. I have a 125 gal. It started as a 20 gal and since my kids already love their Nemo and Dory I can't be putting in the dogface I've always wanted and watch it murder everything small enough to eat. So I'm opting for the lots of little guys look. I think the valentini will work out just fine.

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
boledle;1657121; said:
cool. well, I'm not worried about the invertebrates, but 'mean' meaning spends most of its time chasing tank mates around taking bites out of their fins. do valentinis and saddles get along with clowns and tangs?
The Valentini puffer is the smallest and most docile of all the Marine puffers. They will not chase, to hurt, any of your other fish and have excellent personalities. My Valentini is one of my favorite fish in my saltwater tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store