Woo! micro tank!

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Well I had a 10 gallon tank sitting around that had a filter and a heater so I decided to make it into a Saltwater micro tank. I bought 5 pounds of live sand today filled it up and is now completely cloudy and I'm waiting for the clouds to settle. Tomorrow I plan on going to the LFS to buy 10 pounds of live rock to fill it up with. Then after I let the tank cycle I'm gonna buy some clown fish to surprise the little kids next door. What should I stock this tank with other than that I want to keep it to a specific region in the world.
Serafino

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
you'd be hard pressed to keep a pair of clowns in that tank, a 20 or so would work, but a 10 is really too small. you could do one, if that.

if you need to do the 2 clowns, make them the only fish.

do a few hermits, maybe a cleaner shrimp, and like an emerald or sally lightfoot crab, and some snails (most prefer astrea snails) and i usually have to check the salinity at least bi-weeklt and adjust accordingly.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
2 clowns in a ten does sound a bit cramped. My nano has a purple dartfish a pajama cardinal and a really old watchman that i inherited, a cleaner and 2 blue legs. the tank is stable but its danglin over the edge sorda speak. If i were you i would purchase a 20 or 29 gallon and make a small salt tank. A pair of clowns and a couple other fish would do well in that tank. just a thought.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
i got the oceanic 14 gal nano with pair of false clowns a bangii and a goby and it is very stable. It is not over stocked dont care what you say. i think a pair of false or real percula would do well in a ten till they got big then u gotta move em out

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
Kdcarey;1661204; said:
It is not over stocked dont care what you say.
i don't care if you don't care, it is, that doesn't change the fact.

Kdcarey;1661204; said:
i think a pair of false or real percula would do well in a ten till they got big then u gotta move em out
did you read hat you just said?

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
serafino;1660891; said:
Well I had a 10 gallon tank sitting around that had a filter and a heater so I decided to make it into a Saltwater micro tank. I bought 5 pounds of live sand today filled it up and is now completely cloudy and I'm waiting for the clouds to settle. Tomorrow I plan on going to the LFS to buy 10 pounds of live rock to fill it up with. Then after I let the tank cycle I'm gonna buy some clown fish to surprise the little kids next door. What should I stock this tank with other than that I want to keep it to a specific region in the world.
Serafino
I certainly would not do a pair of clowns in a 10 gallon tank..There are plenty of other fish which stay very small and pertty suitable for this size of system....Some choices, in my opinion are stonogobiops nematodes, amblyeleotris randalli, signigobius biocellatus or a cryptocentrus cinctus and a pistol shrimp...

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
i assume you'd want some corals or anenomes too right?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
soft corals make a nano look great. Its hard to get great lighting without potential heat problems. T-5 HO would work great for LPS corals, could possibly fit in some SPS too if high enough. That will get into a different convo about lighting lol.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I'm not worried about lighting too much it has actually been a problem with too much light in the fish room before with my freshwaters. I have had to add window shades to keep the algae growth down lol. I like fluorescent bulbs they provide great white light with little heat. I do plan on corals and anemones. So soft corals any particular names. I think I want to keep everything specific to the great barrier reef so that gives a large variety.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store