PIC of BABY ALLIGATOR GAR

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I saw 2 babies about 3" each at the lfs and wasn't sure what kind they were and like an idiot I didn't take any pics.

does anyone have pictures of baby gator gars???? I've seen baby spotted and baby marbled and they're long and skinny right?? But these two I saw had bigger heads and more girth to them.

Any pics anyone?? thanks in advance!

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
store they were at?
PM me

but most likely florida/spotted gars...

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
svang55;1665965; said:
I saw 2 babies about 3" each at the lfs and wasn't sure what kind they were and like an idiot I didn't take any pics.

does anyone have pictures of baby gator gars???? I've seen baby spotted and baby marbled and they're long and skinny right?? But these two I saw had bigger heads and more girth to them.

Any pics anyone?? thanks in advance!
gar are illegal in Cali...but they do show up at LFS's once in a while. The so called "marbled gar" isnt a true gar at all, and these gar you saw may not be true gar either. Its hard to say if you don't have any pics. primitivefishes.com has pictures of every species of gar so check them out and see if it looked like any of them.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
i've seen baby spotted gars,............ bought one myself but these 2 look different, their body's werent as slim and snouts were broader. the head were bigger for it's body.

unlike my baby spotted, it had a small head, slim beak, long skinny body. it got more girth after it started eating and got larger.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
they don't look like false gars dude,.............. even the "marbled gar" that were sold at this one place were true gars. false gars are like the needle fish, rocket and hujetas gars and such but not these guys.

but thanks for the website, i'll check it out.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
svang55;1665991; said:
they don't look like false gars dude,.............. even the "marbled gar" that were sold at this one place were true gars. false gars are like the needle fish, rocket and hujetas gars and such but not these guys.

you mean dudette, unless jordan's on his other's acc again:)

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
svang55;1665991; said:

some people just don't know the difference...just making sure you knew what you were looking for. If the snout is wider and its a true gar, it could be a gator. Hard to say without pics. any chance you could go back and get some pics? BTW...im not a "dude"

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
xander13;1666015; said:
you mean dudette, unless jordan's on his other's acc again:)
lol nope its me...def not a dude

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I'm sorry, couldn't tell if you were a dudette. Didn't mean to offend you if I did. They should have male and female signs next to the names or something you know? Kind of like mens and womens restroom signs. Usually if a girl on mfk don't have a name like "girlpower951" or "rainbowpony555" or something like that I assume it's a dude.

anyways, I guess I can try and go back,............ I'm kicking myself for not taking pics. it's kind of a far drive. But until then, if anyone has pics,............ please post them.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
are ALL true gars illegal in california?? and why?? Don't have much info or knowledge about gars so just wondering.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store