fowlr

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
i may set up my in wall 106g tank as a fowlr and get a few smal pred fish for it.
first of all can i do this with no sump and just live rock and powerheads.
second how much rock do you reckon i will need
third what amount of lighting will be reqd.

i just want something basic with rock and fish that will look good with a decent centre piece fish like a dwarf lion, what other smallish hardy fish could i have with this if the set up is possible.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
atleast 100lbs of liverock or like 40 pounds base rock 60 pounds cured.............. Predator tank first i would get an eel but tht is just me........ so you got your lion, maybe a puffer that isnt nippy umm maybe a big wrasse or Tang..... its really up to you there r many choices for predator tank

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
Kdcarey;1673750; said:
atleast 100lbs of liverick or like 40 pounds base rock 60 pounds live
thats a doable mix for rock 60/40 Live/Base.
will i need a sump and skimmer as i really want to avoid using them.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
For a large pred system a sump and skimmer is really going to help with keeping the tank look nice. It can be done without, but i feel as your looking at a lot of water changes and cleaning.

With encorperating a sump into the pic, this allows you to spend a little money on adding a fuge with light to keep as much algae as could be out of the DT, this will reduce cleaning, scrubbing, what not and all for great nutrient export. A skimmer will help remove crud form the water acting as a good form of filtration aside from the powerhead/LR combo.

Problem that i like to avoid is having fish poo floating around in my tank until it finaly finds a dead spot and then just sit's there and makes your tank look nasty. with running a sump or canister if you must allows this to be stored elsewhere. Just remember to clean the filter often enough and this should help you a lot

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
DiXoN;1673662; said:
i may set up my in wall 106g tank as a fowlr and get a few smal pred fish for it.
first of all can i do this with no sump and just live rock and powerheads.
second how much rock do you reckon i will need
third what amount of lighting will be reqd.

i just want something basic with rock and fish that will look good with a decent centre piece fish like a dwarf lion, what other smallish hardy fish could i have with this if the set up is possible.
Being a fish only, the ammount of live rock you have in there is purely down to your tastes, as long as filtration is provided by external filter(s)..If no filters are going to be used, then yes, about 50KG of live rock will suffice...

You certainly dont need a sump or skimmer in my opinion, yes, it will help, but you dont need them...Lighting, effectivly, none...Just add some lighting for your benefit as the fish, themselves, do not need nor require it.

Powerhead wise, i would recomend 2 x Hydor koralia 3 for flow...They pack a good flow, but its wide and dispersed...

Quite a few nice pred fish to get, just remember that with a lot of them, if the fish can fit in its mouth, it will become lunch.... ;)

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
i didn't know this but over the past 3 days my skimmer/filter has been turned off and i have 14lb of live rock and my tank was clearer than ever!

i turned the skimmer and filter back on and its ok but little bits floating around.

i didn't know that rock could make the water so clear! i thought that was pretty cool lol

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
rock is a great bio filter and i have seen it work better then a skimmer in some cases. I still feel its better to add a sump or other form of filtration just for benefit of a cleaner tank.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
i cant add a sump so it will have to be other forms of filtration.
i have an fx5 running on the tank now as its FW but thought you could not use canister filters on marine, is this possible and if so what media etc.
i will want to use 2 powerheads and those look decent niko.
i will try and pick up as much rock as i can if i do it.
as for fish i would want a dwarf lion and a couple of other fish, i would really only want around 3 fish max, could i still have some form of clean up crew with fish like these.

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
DiXoN;1680138; said:
i cant add a sump so it will have to be other forms of filtration.
i have an fx5 running on the tank now as its FW but thought you could not use canister filters on marine, is this possible and if so what media etc.

<<Dont know this specific filter that well, but i see it has 6 filter blocks....So, it would be fine to run them, with new media, and couple this with whatever ammount of live rock you add, it should be fine. As your using a filter, the media maintenance regime would have to be strict, especially with the lion, as sometimes, these can be messy eaters...>>

i will want to use 2 powerheads and those look decent niko.
i will try and pick up as much rock as i can if i do it.
as for fish i would want a dwarf lion and a couple of other fish, i would really only want around 3 fish max, could i still have some form of clean up crew with fish like these.

<<The dwark lion is a nice choice...Whatever other fish you decide on, make sure they are bigger than the lion's mouth, else they will just become an expensive lunch for it....>>
Added some comments in red Dix....

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
you don't know what the fx5 is where has thou been?!?! lol

and i've never heard of a dwark lion..... are they a new breed niko huh? ;)

today when i got my fishy i was a dwarf lion and a maroon clownfish in a 100gallon tank they looked like a nice pair!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store