Live Rock Question

fsubulldogs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
detroit, michigan
I noticed the other day that i have what appears to be grass like stringy things growing off of my live rock. this is my first SW and has been set up for approx 2 months and i have a blue damsel in there. oh 16g bowfront. i checked the params everything is ideal or in the safe range. should i worry about these string like things or are they normal? thanks for all replies

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
its just a kind of algae, perfectly safe..... some people try to get the good looking green algae, opposed to the brown purple and red....... you can manually clean it off.........or it can be an excuse to get a cleaner shrimp.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
cleaner shrimp won't do much... try an emerald crab or a sally lightfoot.

if this was like a 30 i'd say a hectors or rainford goby...

fsubulldogs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
detroit, michigan
ok thanks for the replies as long as it isnt going to kill my fish i am happy.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
ohhh boy, i had a fun spell of this about a year ago and it consumed most all the tank within a few days. had the cleanest water ever lol with no nutrients what so ever. Came out fine in the end. sally's do a great job of chomping away at this, and depending on size of system a lawnmower would do well too

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
16Gs dont you read? lol

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
princess;1677009; said:
i always thought sally's got big?

are emerald crabs called mithrax crabs also?

Sally lightfoot (grapsus grapsus) can grow up to about 4 inch across shell, plus legs, so, in the home marine aquarium, they can be classed as pretty big crab....There is sometimes confusion when these are small, with the Flat Rock Crab (percnon plasissimum), however, these only stay about 1 inch in shell size..

Emerald crabs are often refered to as Mithrax crabs, yes....

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
BIGgourami;1676939; said:
16Gs dont you read? lol
Thanks, i have an escuse, I was at work, and got the feeling of rushing my post so i happened to miss it. I also didnt notice it in his sig either, i failed!!:( lol

zepprocker45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
California
Live rock has all sorts of life on it, I've noticed the same thing in my aquarium, stringy worm looking things picking up sand and such. They don't seem to be harmful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store