One last small question,

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
Aprox how long does it take for a tank to cycle when you use RO water to start, and add 50 pounds of live rock, and 30 pounds of live sand?
is this the fastest way?

Thanks

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
RyanR;1674489; said:
Aprox how long does it take for a tank to cycle when you use RO water to start, and add 50 pounds of live rock, and 30 pounds of live sand?
is this the fastest way?

Thanks
RyanR, the nitrogen cycle can take anywhere between 2 and 6 weeks, it all depends on the curedness of the rock in my opinion...Its not a quick thing, so, patience is needed...Spend the time while its cycling to read, reasearch etc etc...it will put you in good stead for when the tank is ready...

Dont be tempted with things like speed cyclers, let nature run its own course, without being forced, it will lead to a nice stable system for you.

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
Thanks for the info, The rock and sand, had been in a 600 gallon reef tank for about four years, so Im going to assume it was cured haha!

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
yes....i would agree....i just setup a new 90 gal reef...all the rock from that came from an established reef...i never got a cycle...that was even with trying to force a cycle to start by adding a raw shrimp....so, i moved on and added pure ammonia...and that was converted through the nitrogen cycle with 8 hours....and i was not light handed with the ammonia...lol....

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
my nano that i set up, never cycled either. My 65 gallon however cycled for about 2 months. Only because i kept adding uncured LR until i was at my amount of rock. My own fault of course but as reefscape mentioned patience is key.

What are your plans for fish if you've made any yet?

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
Fish for this tank will be

Two Yellow tailed damsels
One False percula Clown fish
Two black barred clown fish
One Regal blue tang
One Royal Gramma
One Flame Angel
One Koran Angel
Three Peppermint shrimp
Three Scarlett shrimp
Three Cleaner Shrimp
One Red Starfish

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I kinda see the Koran Angel possibly causing some problems with the shrimp, same with the dwarf. I have do not see these problems often but they can happen.

you might also need to add all the damsels and clowns together to avoid some major aggression issues between the group. Might turn out but its a question mark for now.

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
All fish are, about 2 inches, they are in a 33gallon that was already cycled, they will all be going into a 125 when it is cycled, thats why i asked how long it would take to cycle with what i added!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store