Angelfish EMERGENCY!

chibi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2006
Baltimore, MD USA
I have a small community tank and another tank with a very mean angelfish. I feel the angelfish guppy fry that come from my community tank. Well, my brother thought he'd try something new and put a pygmy corydoras in with my angelfish.

My angelfish promptly tried to eat it, but it's too big. So now I have an angelfish with a pygmy corydoras STUCK IN HIS THROAT. It's been in there for a day now, the cory's back fin just barely sticking out of my angel's mouth. My angelfish's gills are sticking out a bit, and you can tell he's trying to spit it out with no avail.

What should I do?!

CrystalizedHairs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
Cut the cory into pieces to remove it with the smallest sharpest scissors you can find. Scissor style nail-clippers should work. I've never done this with a small mouthed fish(just a 14" jag, much easier). If you are successful, place the angel in it's own tank to recooperate with a double strength, stress coat dose. Keep the temp high (85+) for faster healing and a heightened immune system. You could also add melafix as a general antibiotic. After all this you could still loose the angel. Best of luck!

bigfishrcool1193

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
is the cory in the angels mouth head first? if so, if the pectoral fins of the cory are in the angels mouth, i wouldnt try pulling it out of the angels mouth because the pectorals have spikes that are sharp, and when a cory is stressed, it will stick out its pectoral fins. if the pectorals are in the angels mouth and u try pulling the cory out, you may damage the angel internally

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store