Help!!

cichlidman1888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Mansfield , Ohio
Ok , i just put in about 40 lbs of live rock in my tank .. the tank itself has been going for about 4 years.. The rock is now being covered by algae that is brown and orange .. my lionfish has lost some scales and is breathing heavily .. i have done atleast a 8 gallon water change being its a 30 gallon tank.. what should i do .. im getting to results out of the water change..??????:nilly:

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
What you might want to do if the algae is really bad is 1. buy an algae eater fish of some sort 2. keep making frequent water changes 3. if its horrible scrape algae off the live rock and remove it from the tank and throw it away 4. have less light going in the tank and if your lights are on a timer have less day time and more night time, and if possible move your tank away from direct sunlight

Hope this helps
Serafino

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
There is the possibility that your experiencing a cycle and the issues with the lion are due to ammonia...Water changes are your new best friend. Live rock should never be added to a running tank, only in small ammounts, about 4 - 5lbs per week...monitor ammonia...What are your current water results...?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I would take the rock out, and cure it in a seperate container. Removin the rock will help reduce the potency of the cycle sorta speak. Curing it in a bin and then adding the recommended amount at a time, after the tank has stabalized.

post the test results, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate if you have it. Also keep the water changes going, I would almost suggest doing 3-5 gallons a day until all is well.

zepprocker45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
California
What probably happened (like most of you mentioned) is that you re-started the ammonia cycle. When live rock is removed from the water alot the beneficial bacteria begins to die, when you add it directly to a new running aquarium, all that dead bacteria builds up ammonia in your tank. It will eventually re-cycle, keep up with water changes and remove some of the rock and cure it seperately.

My rock looked brownish/orange for a while too, its all covered in coralline now. Time may help that.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
lionfish dont have scales.......... they like dont have skin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store