Flathead and Blue Catfish growth rates???

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
At what rates will these guys grow???

I am buying materials for my 1000 gallonish native pond. I already plan on stocking channels, large mouths, crappies, bluegill, and perch.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
crappie, bullgill and perch prey items? If not you can expect them not to last very long. You might want to introduce the prey items first and give them a year headstart so that they can establish themselves and reproduce at least once before you add large predators. You'd probably be ok introducing channels right away, but blues and flatheads can both grow to 5 lbs or more in their first year from what I understand. I would talk to member oddball as he actually has a catfish hatchery. He does blues, channels, and flatheads.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
necrocanis;1682375; said:
crappie, bullgill and perch prey items? If not you can expect them not to last very long. You might want to introduce the prey items first and give them a year headstart so that they can establish themselves and reproduce at least once before you add large predators. You'd probably be ok introducing channels right away, but blues and flatheads can both grow to 5 lbs or more in their first year from what I understand. I would talk to member oddball as he actually has a catfish hatchery. He does blues, channels, and flatheads.
Yes as prey items. I am I great fisherman:D, so I will not be adding the prey items first. I will just re-introduce them when the population gets low.

I realize that eventually, due to natural selection, I will eventually (several years later) be left with only the fittest prey items. If this ever does happen, and the catfish can no longer hunt the prey items, I will just eat the prey items my self.:D Fish fry here we come.:grinno:

I thought he was gone do to personal reasons???

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
hmmm, don't know. Guess I haven't heard from him in a while for a reason. You're doing one of my dreams bro. Love to set up a catfish pond. I see lots of people just get those bulk bags of catfish or trout chow. They come in 50 lbs bags and are pretty cheap. I know a fishery biologist, I ask him some more on growth rates for you. He might be able to suggest some tips too. Let me know if you do set this up that would be sweet. Trying to get a blue, and flathead to raise out myself.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
necrocanis;1682399; said:
hmmm, don't know. Guess I haven't heard from him in a while for a reason. You're doing one of my dreams bro. Love to set up a catfish pond. I see lots of people just get those bulk bags of catfish or trout chow. They come in 50 lbs bags and are pretty cheap. I know a fishery biologist, I ask him some more on growth rates for you. He might be able to suggest some tips too. Let me know if you do set this up that would be sweet. Trying to get a blue, and flathead to raise out myself.
I am definetely doing this!:D If not, I would be very mad at myself for already buying $400 worth of supplies and equipment and never using them.

The pond will be in the 1000 gallon range. I just PM'ed oddball on stocking suggestions. What would you suggest based on these three requirements?

1.I want the majority of the stocking to consist of channels, followed closely by large mouths.
2.All specimens will be wild caught in the one foot range from local farm ponds.
3.I want to keep 1-2 flatheads and 1-2 bluecats, but more would be great if my pond size allows. I will be filtering with a 4000 gph diy w/d filter.

Necro, if you want to pay me to ship you a flathead or blue, I definetely could. I could catch you a blue cat quite small, so shipping would be minimal. I am not sure I could get a small flathead though.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
Aqua Sanctuary;1684301; said:
yes i agree those crappies and bream are midnight snack.
Yeah, i know. Read the entire thread Aqua!:grinno:

silentmajority

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
This is a general-type chart I stole from a book I have:

Age Length Inches(North)/ Length Inches(South)

1 7.5 / --
2 10.9 / 16.3
3 14.8 / 24.3
5 19.3 / 27.7
7 23.9 / 34.7
9 28.0 / 36.3
11 35.5 / 40.4
13 37.0 / 44.2
15 40.00 / 46.3

The data varies depending on climate, food supply, and genetic stock. I know they have a major growth spurt between 3-8 years old, where they can put up to 10lbs of weight on per year. I landed a 50 and 1/2 inch flathead last year here in AZ, and I doubt he was more than 15 years old though.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Kobeclone;1682415; said:
I am definetely doing this!:D If not, I would be very mad at myself for already buying $400 worth of supplies and equipment and never using them.

The pond will be in the 1000 gallon range. I just PM'ed oddball on stocking suggestions. What would you suggest based on these three requirements?

1.I want the majority of the stocking to consist of channels, followed closely by large mouths.
2.All specimens will be wild caught in the one foot range from local farm ponds.
3.I want to keep 1-2 flatheads and 1-2 bluecats, but more would be great if my pond size allows. I will be filtering with a 4000 gph diy w/d filter.

Necro, if you want to pay me to ship you a flathead or blue, I definetely could. I could catch you a blue cat quite small, so shipping would be minimal. I am not sure I could get a small flathead though.

Hmm, would be better if you could bump up the size of it a little. You'd be suprised at how small 1000 gals actually is. If you can go 5 to ten times that size I'd see it working much better. If you had a natural stream and could get permission to dam it to make your pond you'd be better off, but it sounds like you are trying to make kinda a koi style pond so that you can see your fish? If you dam a stream it will usually be so muddy you'll never see the fish til you catch them. If you are only planning to keep very few flatheads channels, blues and flatheads then you'll be fine with 1000 gals. I'd only keep one blue, one flathead, 2-3 channels, and maybe 6 lmb. The rest can be your food stock. If you are able to get the real deal blue cats and not just normal colored channels than I will definitely try to get one. Been looking for a flathead and blue for a while. They don't exist in montana. We only have channels, yellow bullheads, and stonecats. I can get any of those if you'd want them for your collection. Baby flathead would be cool, but only person I know who gets them small is oddball. He can get both blues and flats, but havent heard from him in a while. Supposed to get some this season from him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store