Halo elites invade tank.

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
You may remember from an earlier post of mine that I just started my first marine tank. I was pretty sure that even though I had gone small that I wouldn't have any problems, but due to the advice of a few members, I decided to upgrade my tank.

I've been looking around for a bigger tank, but I'm working with limited space, so it's taking some time. Came home last night to huge problems i.e. my little brother decided that since a tank with live sand and rock plus a teensy hermit crab was "empty" it was fair game for his halo action figures. He left one in for a few hours while I was gone at work. I did a pretty big water change, almost 100%, but the water smells like plastic now and it was really murky when I got in.

Anything else? Other than murderlize my lil bro?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
sounds like a reaction of some sort. but with what. There are different types of plastics used but i cant imagine you would have a problem with an action figure and not your filter.

This im sure is not much help, sorry lol.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
I don't know what it's reacting with. It looked better when I got home, but now there's a fine layer of golden brown over my sand that won't go away. God knows where those action figures have been. I'm thinking there might be something in the paint. Maybe? Either that or they had something on them. Who knows. They've been to school, in the bathtub, down kids' pants, in dogs' mouths, anywhere else you can imagine, and now my aquarium.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
well im not sure what to tell ya lol. I would hate to say keep doing water changes and give it some time and then add a fish and see what happens because im not sure if theres anything in the water that will kill the fish.

Could it be that when the kids put the figures into the tank that something "normal" happened lol. Did you test it to see what levels were elevated?? Just kinda wondering what the ammonia was at.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Oh, probably should have posted these first lol.

79 degrees f
salinity 1.020
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
alkalinity 180 ph8

Of course, this is after a water change. I guess it looks ok.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
tank IMO looks good as well. My only guess is a reaction but as far as effecting the tank down the road, i could not tell you nor would i know.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
he probably just kicked the hell out of the sand... wait a day or two

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
if its a kids toy then chances are there is nothing bad in there ,kids toys nowadays have to prove they are safe rather than some one proving there is a danger .at least here in the eu

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Yeah, thanks guys. The parameters are holding steady. The plastic smell is gone, too. I'm thinking about watching the small set up I have now for a while before upgrading to a bigger tank, just because I want to make sure there's not going to be any reactions down the road.

I'm also debating whether or not to add a little, inexpensive fish like a green chromis to make sure the tank is viable, still. If I go a few weeks with no problems, I'll feel confident about putting what I have into a bigger tank. If everything dies, I'm just going to toss what I have now and start from scratch in a big tank. I'd hate to waste the stuff I've already got though.

Makes me think twice about getting my brother anymore action figures, though. If they did that to my tank, I can't imagine what they could be doing to him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store