Seawater vs making your own

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hi guys,

I have always made my own water for my tanks using RO water. There is a reef store near me that can sell seawater for a very reasonable price. They get theirs from somewhere in San Diego. Now I have always made my own saltwater and have had absolutely no experience with seawater. I would imagine it would be quite easier to use and at the LFS near me it is just a little more expensive than RO water and would probably be cheaper in the long run after adding everything to the RO water. Has anyone ever used seawater for their tanks? Are there any pros or cons to sea water and reversed o water? The seawater is 99 cents a gallon and I have a nano lol so not too expensive lol.

Thanks for any feedback,
Serafino

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
As long as its been thoroughly tested maybe. I would be worried about various chemicals and pollutants coming into the source.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hmm good point. The LFS here uses the seawater as well as selling it. I don't think they have had any problems but thats not to say they won't. I know Monterey Bay Aquarium actually had problems pumping in water from their bay and had to stop for a while because of high iodine levels. I might try it out to see what problems I encounter because it sure is a heck of a lot easier to just go buy seawater instead of mixing your own. Have you ever used it?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Something that may help you out is running the water through carbon trays. Setup a tray system and pump the water from one bin, up to the top of the tray and have it trickle through. This will make good contact with the carbon and help remove any impurities in the water.

Collecting farther away from shore is the best idea due to avoiding any pollutants what so ever. Sea water is very stable and should have good consitency. May not end up being easier if you have to jump in a boat everytime, but would make a good escuse to do some fishing lol.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
thinkin the same way i am lol. Im making my way out there but only for 6 days vacation and even then the wifes gunna have to drag me away when its time to leave.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ya lol. I just bought some today and I'm gonna try it out next water change which is coming up tomorrow. I'll see how it works out lots o good bacteria and stuff so should be great. Well see I'll post up tomorrow after the change with my opinion and results and keep it updated.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
The florida aquarium brings in water from like 40miles out in the gulf

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Is it real 'seawater' from the ocean, or is it just premixed saltwater?

I'd suggest ozone to clean up real water from the ocean. Could be some real funk in it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store