First time salt 40 gallon

voss345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
ct
Hey everyone first time in the Salt section of MFk well im coming over to the darkside or at least partly
in a few weeks ill be setting up a 40 breeder, and plan on doing a massive mini reef with some nice clowns (black), 29 gallon sump fuge
would appreciate other stock people could point me to, i was thinking just a Clown colony with maybe some smaller fish mixed in

thanks
robb

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
good a 40 breeder would be a great start...

some other fish would be
firefish
dmasels
chromis
basslets
chalk bass
smaller anthias
gobies
blennies
cardinal fish
the list goes on and on

I would probably do something like:
a pair of clowns
a chalk bass
a few scissortail gobies
ad like a pair of yellow watchman and a pistol shrimp or a jawfish. (MAYbe both, they may fight)

voss345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
ct
yea before i was hesitant to start up a Salt tank but now that i work at my LFS is has become a quite bit easier with LR at 3$ a pound :)banhim: I know) :grinno:

so a colony of clowns isnt a good idea?
i was thinking of mizing in some chromis as well heard cardinalfish arent great with clowns so im gonna steer away fro mthat option

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
cards are alright with percs or ocells but not with the larger clowns...

i'm not sure a 40 is big enough for a colony, specially not wiht the larger clowns... what kind were you thinking of keeping? the black occels?

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
you might but to get enough fish and enough nems to do so you'd pretty much have nothing else in there...:(

voss345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
ct
well how many do you consider a colony? i was thinking 3-4

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
a pair is usually a win win lol. One male, one female. No problems between whos the boss this way. One sebae anemone would cut it as well being they would both host the same anemone due to being a pair. Other corals are great and welcome as well. Depending on the light of course, then you could get more corals. I would do either a compact flourescent setup or a T-5 HO. My vote is for T-5 due to heat issues and light output. Great coral range with the T-5 setup.

A couple of my favorite fish for small tanks would be a yellow coris (canary wrasse) and the purple dartfish. Purples have some great color and the yellow coris just adds that little flash of yello to the tank. Seems to brighten it up IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store