What's the best way to top off a 300g tank?

fluxkenji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
SOCAL
I was just wondering what is the most efficient way of topping off my 300g tank?

Also as far as topping offing, my system has been evaporating about 2.5 gallons a day which is a lot! I didn't expect it to evaporate that much. It's not even summer yet!

I was thinking of getting the JBJ Auto Top Off Unit, and from what I read in other forums supply it with a Maxi Jet 400 or a similar powerhead. I would probably need to get about a 25 gallon tank as a holding cell for the RO water, so that I could add water to the holding cell once a week.

I have a limited amount of space, but here are the pictures of the setup in the photo gallery
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135617

Let me know what you guys think.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
a top off is really a good solution. I would have RO water in one container and mixed makeup water in the top off container. This way you can control the salinity better then having mixed water being mixed with RO water causing a drop in salinity over time. It will work but you need to take 24 hours to thoroughly mix the saltwater before entering in the system so if you made a cycle then it could work.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
a home RO unit can put out 50 gallons a day you could plug that right intot he tank and only have to fill 'er up every 2 weeks. then you could get RO water for your other tanks too. or for drinking/cleaning/etc... no more water stains.. ever! lol

fluxkenji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
SOCAL
sweeTang21;1691969; said:
a top off is really a good solution. I would have RO water in one container and mixed makeup water in the top off container. This way you can control the salinity better then having mixed water being mixed with RO water causing a drop in salinity over time. It will work but you need to take 24 hours to thoroughly mix the saltwater before entering in the system so if you made a cycle then it could work.
BIGgourami;1692009; said:
a home RO unit can put out 50 gallons a day you could plug that right intot he tank and only have to fill 'er up every 2 weeks. then you could get RO water for your other tanks too. or for drinking/cleaning/etc... no more water stains.. ever! lol
Thanks for the info guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store