Help Converting from FW to SW

jfoxx81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2008
Macon Ga
Heys whats going on my name is jeff and imma kinda new at this, I am looking to convert my 75 gal FW to SW and i was wondering if i could get some feedback on what all items i would need to purchase to complete the setup... I wanna do a small reef with fish in the 75 gallon....:help2:

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Well IMO a good reef tank should not be without a skimmer. I would also consider you running a sump just so you can incorporate a fuge to prevent algae outbreaks in the DT. Get some live sand and live rock. You dont need to get all live rock, and get some dead rock and just seed it, but either way you should have some in the tank for BB population. Sand depth should be about 3 inches unless you want to run a DSB.

A light that can grow and wide array of corals would probably benefit you as well. I would look for a T-5 HO or VHO kit.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI..._10k_3_460nm_Actinics_48in_Units&vendor=.html

Would work out great for that tank. Has a good number of bulbs in it and it will grow most corals, possibly even clams depending on the par levels.

A good skimmer IMO is a ASM G-2 which would work great on that tank, only if you ran a sump.

Adding a sump will also give you more benefit to the tank just in ways of water volume increase. helps keep your levels more stable then they might already be.

jfoxx81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2008
Macon Ga
what would be a good size sump for a 75 gallon tank???? and whats this bb population... all this is new to me trying to research first... imma fw guy...

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
bb= beneficial bacteria.

Live rock carries a large amount of it with all the live little critters in and on it.

I believe a decent sump would be a 40 gallon breeder tank. This will give you enough room for skimmer, a small fuge if you want to use one and then the return pump. Will also give you enough room for all the overflow water for when the pumps shut off.

jfoxx81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2008
Macon Ga
ok thank for the info, ill go with that for now and do some more research before I start this process and get rid of my babies

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
daboyprince23;1707298; said:
would he/she have to remove the old fresh water? and start with new water?
No, the old water will make it easier for him to cycle the tank. I would leave the old water in there and just add salt, once the sump with the skimmer is set up and live sand and rock is in the tank

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Cappuccino;1719871; said:
No, the old water will make it easier for him to cycle the tank. I would leave the old water in there and just add salt, once the sump with the skimmer is set up and live sand and rock is in the tank
I disagree, It depends on the type of water. Most tap water is a bad idea in a reef tank because it will eventualy become very high in nitrate and phosphate and cause major algae issues as well as poor water quality in general.

I would get a source of RO water. Fill the tank with the RO water and have some PH's going and add the salt leaving about 1-2 inches from the top of the tank, add the sand(what ever sand you chose) and the Live rock base rock mix or whatever you decided on, and then top it off. Get the filter running and let it go from there. The cycle should start soon after the addition of the LR and LS. Adding cocktail shrimp is a good cheap way to start a cycle if you dont get much from the LR and LS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store