moving filter media? best method to prevent dead BB

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
we are moving soon and rather than rush setting up our tanks i am setting up a 90 temp tank at my shop 20 minutes from the house. so my ? is whats the best way to move my filter media to the new tak w/o die off? the 90 has a sump that i plan on tossing my media in for instant cycle:headbang2 i was thinkin i could put the media in a bucket of tank water w/ air pump. and the driftwood should stay wet enuf that it should be ok, right? also when we are moved in and 125 is filled again the trip to new house will be about 45 mins, any ideas? or am i on the right trak

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Just put the filter media in a clean pail of fish water & transport it to new tank. But, unless you maintain a fish population in the new tank, the BB won't have anything to live on.

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
ya the fish will be goin at the same time as media if possible. ever seen an s-10 full of buckets, lol! does anyone think i should go out of my way for the driftwood? and as far as temp i usually keep the heat cranked when transporting fish. so do you think my plaN is sound?

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
oh ya, i scored the 90 for 0$ from an inlaw:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2thought that only happened in cali:ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store