Can you identify my hitchhickers?

ugafan31605

Feeder Fish
Mar 29, 2008
Indiana
Discovered some hitch hikers on my live rock. This is in a 8 gal bio cube that is just starting to cycle.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll202/ugafan31605/Forum%20Pics/?action=view&current=100_3475.jpg

This one I believe is a Rock Anenome. Which is bad?
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll202/ugafan31605/Forum Pics/100_3472.jpg

This one I have no idea what it is. I can't find anything resembling it on the net. I'm not sure it is even alive.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll202/ugafan31605/Forum Pics/100_3482.jpg

This one is hard to see, but I think it is a Britle Star Fish. Is this guy going to survive the tank cycling? What should I do with it. I think my Damsels are eating it. It only has 3 legs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
the first one is an aptasia anenome...
the scond one looks like either a tube worm shell or a peanut or spaggetti worm
and the last one is eithr one arm of a brittle star or a SMALL bristleworm

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
I don't know about the first 2, but I'm pretty sure the last one is a bristle worm. You will want to get it out because they can become aggressive to othe inhabitants. My brother uses a piece of pantyhose. He puts some fish or shrimp in it and wraps it around like a ball. You put it in the tank at night because that's when the worm comes out. In the picture it looks like a small worm but you may be surprised at actually how long it is. In the morning, the worm should be stuck to the pantyhose by its bristles. Be careful when you remove it because they can bite and the bristles can irritate skin. Good luck, The Doctor.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
TY

zerelli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2007
USA
I thought I saw someone selling bristle worms as part of a "cleaner package". I have seen some nasty bristleworms. Once back in the early 90s I received a shipment of rock at this store and it was full of fire coral and bristleworms. My arms were scorched up to the elbows.....man that sucked.

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
zerelli;1704483; said:
I thought I saw someone selling bristle worms as part of a "cleaner package". I have seen some nasty bristleworms. Once back in the early 90s I received a shipment of rock at this store and it was full of fire coral and bristleworms. My arms were scorched up to the elbows.....man that sucked.
then why you touch it? lol

i have something in 2 peices of my rock its like a tube...its white and got two like string bits coming from it... then when i turn lights on/off they pop in n out? lol

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
princess;1704883; said:
then why you touch it? lol

i have something in 2 peices of my rock its like a tube...its white and got two like string bits coming from it... then when i turn lights on/off they pop in n out? lol
Quite possibly a couple of feeders from a spaghetti worm..

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
Reefscape;1704893; said:
Quite possibly a couple of feeders from a spaghetti worm..

the white bit looks dead.... but they have long sorta antena that pop up n down...quite weird

ugafan31605

Feeder Fish
Mar 29, 2008
Indiana
The last one I am quite sure is a Brittle Star. The pic is just really hard to see. I'll try to get a better pic of it. But, since the tank is fresh and starting to cycle will it survive? And also, the tank is so new that I don't think it will have any food to sift from the sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store