Help starting a saltwater setup

dodge4x4man68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
MASS
I am ready to make the jump to saltwater after several years of keeping african cichlids. I have 4 tanks, a 75g, 55g, 30g and a 20g. I am going to use the 75 for the conversion. Equipment already have is as follows, 260 watt power compact and a 120 watt strip, fluval fx5 and a fluval 405, 2-250 watt heaters, 2 aquaclear 70 powerheads. I am going to go with a fish only with live rock tank. Do I need anything else to get up and running besides the salt and testing kits? I want to cycle the tank with damsels and live rock, is this a good idea? or should I just go with the fish until it cycles? all info everyone can give will be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie to saltwater.

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
sounds good! but i really wouldn't want you to cycle the tank with dansels :( ...just do it with live rock for a month then get fish you actually want.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Find someone in your area or a LFS, make friends, then barrow somer filter media/and or live rock. If you could get a hold of some used media that would help jump start it a lot, cut your time needed to cycle way down.

I say use the Damsels to cycle then as snacks for the fishes. :)

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
DB junkie;1708134; said:
Find someone in your area or a LFS, make friends, then barrow somer filter media/and or live rock. If you could get a hold of some used media that would help jump start it a lot, cut your time needed to cycle way down.

I say use the Damsels to cycle then as snacks for the fishes. :)

shut it you! whats the point in buying them for cyceling... its not like cycleing goes any quicker

dodge4x4man68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
MASS
I really dont want to look at a tank full of rock for a month or so, if I use the damsels for cycling I would keep them around after the cycle is completed. If I use the fish and wanted to add some live rock during the cycling process which would I use uncured or cured? I was planning on slowly adding live rock over a few months time starting with maybe 20 pounds or so

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
If you choose to use damsels for cycling the tank, believe me, they will turn into your worst nightmare with aggression and territory....

Fact of life, you NEED patience with marine keeping...without it, you'll be throwing your money down the drain.....

young_skywalker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Idaho
if it's a 75 gallon you could immediately put a couple small fish in, there is more water than they will be able to dirty. But if you want live rock put it in first and let it get the tank started and then start adding a cleaning crew. you could also buy live bacteria bio-spira. One thing I would also do is invest in a good protein skimmer if you haven't all ready

damsels are a pain and when you add live rock it will usually cause an ammonia problem unless it was well cured. I usually start my saltwater tanks (community) with clownfish because they are very hardy but more amiable

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
Just start with liverock and let it cycle that way. It will take like 4-5 weeks. Even if you buy cured rock you will still go through a small cycle. I started my last tank using all cured rock from existing tanks that had been set up for over a year and still took 20 days for ammonia to disappear. I would also sell the canister filters and buy a good protein skimmer.

dodge4x4man68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
MASS
thank you all for your input keep it coming...another question for everyone...what is a good price to pay for live rock? my lfs gave me a price of $6 per pound (normally charges $8 but I am a great customer)

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
if it's good looking rock $6 a pound is great... the cheapest aorund me is like $5 but that's total crap, the cheapest 'good' rock is like 7.50...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store