Dog faced puffer problems

pufferluver

Feeder Fish
Apr 15, 2008
Davis, CA
I have a dog faced puffer who is about 4 1/2 in. He used to share the tank with a blenny who died recently from old age. My puffer used to come out and beg for food and eat while I was in the room. Now he seems depressed and won't eat while I'm around, so I'm not sure if he has been eating. The water quality is great, so I'm really confused. He likes to engage me if I'm i the room, so I think he's just lonely, as opposed to being sick. Does anyone know what else could be wrong? If he's lonely, what kind of fish should I add? One salesperson recommended a lion fish or a trigger. Another person said that either of those would be a bad idea.

NilePufferFanatic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Idaho
Both the lion and the trigger are good ideas. The other guy is wrong.

I have seen a predator tank with a dog faced, a spiny puff, an undulated trigger, and a radiata lion fish sustained for more than two years now :goldfish:

young_skywalker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Idaho
well it really depends on the type of trigger, but the lionfish if you have the room would be fine. you could also add other puffers, large tangs, angels, wrasses, hogfish, etc.

how big is your tank?

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
60 is not that big for a puffer as you probably already know, but since he is only 4 1,2 inches will be fine for a good while , maybe try another puffer , or small type of lion fish , but it has been known for puffers to nip the fins of lions ,nowhere near as much as a trigger though. flame hawk fish tend to do fine with puffers , maybe one of the smaller hardier angels (coral beauty etc )

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
pufferluver;1709296; said:
It's only a 60 gallon. I can't get a bigger one until I'm on my own.

The Valentini puffer is a great fish that has an excellent personality and may bring up your dog faces morale.
My Valentini is one of my favorite fish in my saltwater tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store