What fish can go in a 40 gallon F.O.W.L.R?

Oldmano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
I plan on starting my first marine aquarium in around a month and am just curious to see what everyone suggests I stock it with. Right now I'm hoping to get either a single Mantis Shrimp (any suggestions on species?) or some non aggressive smaller fish. Considering this will be my first attempt at salt water I'd like to get some nice, hardy, lower maintenance fish. What would you recommend? It will be either 40 or 50 gallons (probably 40) nothing larger. I am planning to have very good filtration in order to cut down on maintenance, I'm getting this sump http://www.truvuaquariums.com/mwdpss75.html and filling it with carbon, bio balls and fiber filter pads. I will supplement this with with a protein skimmer and a little live rock which I plan on adding more of as time goes on.

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
Hmmmm...a little contradiction in terms....a mantis shrimp and non agressive fish? The two dont really go together. The mantis is a beast and fish killer....lol

Fish wise, "non-agressive"....Well, you do have some good options of clowns, gobys, some wrasse, firefish....

On your filtration, i would no bother with the bio-balls, just use live rock rubble instead, as this will remove a large maintenance aspect from the system...I.E bio-balls will need cleaning, live rock rubble will not...

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I actually purchased one of those sumps, along with the basic sump for a 300 gallon. There sumps are great for the money. do you plan on running a small fuge??

I would stick with gobies and small species wrasses. I have a coris and sixline and they work very well together as well as in smaller systems. The yellow coris is a great cleaner fish and grazes on the rockwork to keep it clean. The sixline has kept my tank for the most part brisstle worm free lol.

Firefish (dartfish) add a great splash of color in any reef tank. Purples and maroons are the most common. Scissortail gobies would alos look good. They are more surface dwellers though.

just a bit of background on some very common species, but there are plenty more that would go very well in that size tank.

Oldmano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
Oldmano;1708889; said:
I plan on starting my first marine aquarium in around a month and am just curious to see what everyone suggests I stock it with. Right now I'm hoping to get either a single Mantis Shrimp (any suggestions on species?) or some non aggressive smaller fish. Considering this will be my first attempt at salt water I'd like to get some nice, hardy, lower maintenance fish. What would you recommend? It will be either 40 or 50 gallons (probably 40) nothing larger. I am planning to have very good filtration in order to cut down on maintenance, I'm getting this sump http://www.truvuaquariums.com/mwdpss75.html and filling it with carbon, bio balls and fiber filter pads. I will supplement this with with a protein skimmer and a little live rock which I plan on adding more of as time goes on.
I don't plan on putting the two together.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
it does not matter. The difference is the amount of crud the skimmer removes. In sump designs are better because they usually have more output and can be designed a bit more bulky then hangons giving them a slight advantage. There are however good HOB skimmers that do a very effective job at removing water imputites. Make sure you do your research and ask questions about each indiviual that you find and like and make the best call at the time. I would recommend an insump only because its out of the way and some models allow mods for increased performance.

ASM G-2 is the model that i am using and it works very well. its a well known brand too.

AquaC remora has had plenty of outstanding reviews and some not so good reviews, but is a brand that i have seen work very well for some hobbiest

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
yeah placement doesn't really matter. in sump (or at least under cabinet) ones are usually larger/better nut more $$$... i think octopus makes a good skimmer...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store