"PowerGlow" Bulbs?

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
Hey guys, It says these bulbs, are good for increasing color of fish, AND good for corals and inverts, it states on it, that it has an 18k output.. how good is this actually, and as far as corals go, what could do good under this lighting? Since its mostly a FOWLR tank, i will not upgrade lighting more then this, BUT if i can have SOME soft corals, that would be nice too.

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
never heard of a bulb with an 18000 kelvin rating before. but since 20k bulbs colour up coral nicely, and 10k gives you good growth, i'd imagine 18 would be okayish for coral, maybe supplemented with a "daylight" tube.

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
The box says,

Power~Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb

• 30 W
  • 36" (91 cm)
  • 32.5 mm Diameter
  • Service Life - 9000 hours
  • Promotes coral, invertebrate and plant growth
  • High intensity
  • Photosynthetic deep marine spectrum
  • Total illumination for living corals, marine algae and freshwater plants

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
Does its say on the box, exactly what wavelength (nm) these emit on??? That pic above simply illustrates the different colours which emit through a given wavelength and not the wavelength of the the perticular bulb..

As a side note, zooxanthellae best uses 420 - 490nm range (blue hue), so, this is what "most" marine lighting systems are designed around...

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
i have a power glo on my cichlids tankage .....it said used for marine on the packet but the colour doesn't look very marine like

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
just use a 10000K and an actinic......

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
Kind of hard to use two bulbs with one ballast, and a canopy that only has room for one... I have many ballasts, BUT the canopy doesn't have room for them...

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
ok this is what i know

hagen put 18000k as good for plants yet it isnt
it is a general bulb for fish

so as a basic

lifeglo is for planted tan ks and s/a setups
powerglo is a general bulb verywhite good for african cichlids fowlr etc.
marineglo is a 24k(maybe less) bulb that is for corals.

also doesnt that picture say on the bottom thsat the blue is on the 400-480 nm part f the wavelength?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store