Water question

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
Out of the two, the second link....

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+12093&pcatid=12093

.....is the better one. The first unit is only a 2 stage filter, and the dissolved solids at the end of the filtration are usually still pretty high...the more filter stages the water passes through, the better quality the end product is.

one of these has to be hooked up to tank regulary to filter it or is it just to get the water from the faucet?
Its just to filter the water from the faucet. The water will go from the faucet, through the RO unit, and into a storage container that you will mix either your saltwater in or as pure water for topping the tank off...

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Merlin GE's are a great filter. Im partial to the filter guys because you get great bang for the buck. My 6 stage is from them and i will produce about 200gpd and i spent 300 brand new, and thats for the whole nine yards, also has a very low waste water reading.

http://thefilterguys.biz/

its the one 2 from the bottom.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
i have seen RO water at the lowest, .25 a gallon, for some really poorly filtered water, and upwards of 1.25 a gallon.

I only recommend getting your own RO unit because you can control the amount of filtration and what your will remove more of, The media being used, the consistency of the water (which is very important in a reef tank) and the simple fact that purchasing RO water for the length of the tank being up and running will pay itself off very shortly. If you get a larger tank, then your covered already as well. just my .02

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
In the long run you will save money by purchasing an RO filtration unit. Or you can do what I'm did I bought RO water until I could save up enough money to buy an RO unit but that came too late and I found seawater for a buck a gallon lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store