Got a Jawfish (camera phone)

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
Cool little jawfish, for a few days, it was very skittish and even jumped out. I saran wrapped the top for the first night, then open top. Once he dug a hole, he wouldn't come out.

Now it's a glutton. They remind me of gophers.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
very nice! I was going to get one of those before I got the creature in my avatar lol

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
I don't have a deep sand bed, but he digs sideways. It's kind of cool actually, there's a network under the rocks. If I buy more sand, what's the best way to get it in there without clouding the water?

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
MarlboroMan;1710824; said:
I don't have a deep sand bed, but he digs sideways. It's kind of cool actually, there's a network under the rocks. If I buy more sand, what's the best way to get it in there without clouding the water?

Just add 4 - 5 lbs at a time...Ideally, for burowing creatures, a thick grade sand mixed with normal fine grade is good because it will provide a more solid structure for the burrows...

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
GOD I LOVE JAWFISH!!

had a blue spot before he decided to go spelunking... :(

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
MarlboroMan;1710824; said:
thats not good unless you have them on lifts. You dont want the rocks caving in the hole and

A. crushing your fish

B. falling over and messing up coral

C. falling over and hitting the glass and causeing a major failure.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
could not agree more lol. i have seen 3 tanks this year alone with broken glass due to falling rocks.

One way i have gone about adding sand is taking a very fine mesh net or cloth or something and rinsing them. I did a 15 gallon water change and used the removed water to run through the live sand and then add it to the tank right away. A very long hard tedious process but it worked great and no spike in ammonia due to die off or anything of that nature so if your up for it, the 5lbs bag you would be adding would more then likely take less then an hour lol.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
He already dug the sand, but seems the rocks are already sitting on the glass, nothing seems to have fallen.

I do plan to buy more sand though, he is leaving piles everywhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store