Beginner Question

soulFish

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
Tampa, FL
I want to set up a 100 gallon salt "Fish" only tank.

I already have:
AC110
XP3 Canister
18 Watt UV
Powerhead
48" CoralLife PC Light
300Watt Heater

1. Do I need anything else?

2. Do I need a Protein Skimmer for fish only? If so will it save me frequent water changes? Or $$ in the long run? I know they remove nitrates, but do they remove anything else?

3. The fish going into the tank are snapper/grouper type fish that will eat meaty foods. How often will I need to change water? Is it similar to a freshwater tank frequency? Once a week 20%?

4. Do I need Live rock?

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
test kits :D salt....skimmer...RO unit...

i think skimmers are cool! lol all the horrid gunky stuff...

i dunno about live rock i think you can do it without LR ....but it makes my water sooooooo clear!

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
LR is usually considered the fundamental base for Beneficial Bacteria and without it you wil lhave to substitue other means. LR also adds a nice look to the tank.

Skimmers are great but good husbandry skills will still need to be used, but there will be less of a demand so to speak. Cansiters and HOBs can be usued but will need to be tended to regularly to prevent any major nitrate spikes which WILL increase the amount of algae in the tank. IMO, get a skimmer and consider adding a sump for peace of mind. Otherwise keep the for-mentioned equiptment clean and you should be good.

Im recommending a skimmer AND sump only becuase your going to be keeping very large and dirty fish. Sumps are great because you can get all the junk of the back of the tank. But they also allow you to use a fuge, which is not by all means needed on a FO tank, but will help keep algae down big time. I dont usually see Predator tanks with 2 lbs of LR in it, simply because rock can take a lot of the tank up and you lose a lot of swimming room for these larger fish. Using a sump will allow you to substitute for the biological demand.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
i would at least get the basic live rock,, the stuff with jjust the bacteria on it... you can do like 1/ and 1/2 live to base if it's still to much $$$

i second/third? the getting of a skimmer a good sized/quality one should be like $200sih..

an Ro unit would be nice and a good investment.. it'll pay for itself in about 3 months...

get a small home sized unit, one that makes 50 gallons a day is PLENTY... plus then you can get some too keep water marks of your dishes.. clean drinking water and other added benifits :D :thumbsup:

soulFish

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
Tampa, FL
thanks guys this was all a big help..

1st thing first get a good skimmer, and start cycling. I think a RO unit is a good idea too, just have to get all the money together. I'd like a sump as well, but may brake the piggy bank replacing all the filtration at the moment. And if I decide to upgrade to a 150 or 250 I may be able to find a used one that everything is included already.

thanks guys... and gal alot, you've been a big help to this noob .

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
BIGgourami;1716170; said:
i would at least get the basic live rock,, the stuff with jjust the bacteria on it... you can do like 1/ and 1/2 live to base if it's still to much $$$

i second/third? the getting of a skimmer a good sized/quality one should be like $200sih..

an Ro unit would be nice and a good investment.. it'll pay for itself in about 3 months...

get a small home sized unit, one that makes 50 gallons a day is PLENTY... plus then you can get some too keep water marks of your dishes.. clean drinking water and other added benifits :D :thumbsup:

I agree 100%

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store