Pic and video hand feeding baby fronts

cichlidhopper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2007
Winchester Tn.
Just to cool, My wife is getting hers used to this type of feeding..

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
It is so fun, i cant believe i didnt do it sooner LOL. I dont know if they are more interactive cause there is more of them and they are bolder cause there is safety in numbers ? My 6 burundi juvies never showed any interest the couple times i tried it. I have 13 of them compared to the six burundi. Maybe that is a factor.

years ago i had an oscar that would let me touch it and then recently after getting into fronts i saw several similar videos of the hand feeding so i figured i would give it a try. So glad i tried it.

2poc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Ireland
They are lovely little things. Did you breed them yourself?
I have a couple of fronts about 3.5 inches in size - they are over 2 years old though, really slow growing...

pattycakescichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2008
Winchester Tn.
I want to do that with mine!! I have a colony of 8..

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
Glad everybody is enjoying it. You all should go for it, its really fun. Someone told me once that you can even train older adult fish to do it. Just be patient for more skitish fish. He told me he even got his Wild caught ones doing it now. Thats where i got the idea to try it with fronts. The bigger fish you feed them shrimp or krill depending on how large. His fish were really big ones.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
2poc;1717402; said:
They are lovely little things. Did you breed them yourself?
I have a couple of fronts about 3.5 inches in size - they are over 2 years old though, really slow growing...
No, i ordered them from a breeder in CA. Ten bucks each plus 40 for shipping to Upstate NY. It was a great deal, couldnt pass them up. Only down side was they were a bit smaller than LFS fronts. They were 1/2 - 3/4 inch fry. I have had them for 6 weeks and they almost doubled in size. Growing nicely.

Seems like your fish should be bigger by now. What is your maintenence schedule, tank size, how often do you do water changes etc... I have some juvie burundi that i bought in Oct and they are 3 inch for smallest ones and 4-5 inch for the bigger ones all ready, thats why i asked about how your setup is etc... Also what variant do you have ?

Got any pics of your fish ? I love pics, my fav. part of reading posts ! :)

2poc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Ireland
Wow - 10 dollars each is good.. They are hugely expensive here in Ireland. A 3 inch front would cost about 40 Euro (about 65 dollars!).
I have a very rigorous maintenance schedule & they are well looked after but they just don't seem to be growing. Everything around them is though!

Couple of old pics:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store