Thinking of starting a tank

vegan114

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
New mexico
We are thinking of setting up a 50 gal tank. We want to do so as natural as possible even if it takes some time before we add fish. Can someone give me a idea of price what products we need and are the best? Thanks.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
hey now princess!!! Alot will depend on the amount of money you want to spend and what the tank will be. Are you planning on having coral or no?? if not then save money on lights. 50 gallon is a good size and if you have not purchased the tank yet, id recommend getting it drilled with an overflow so you can add a sump to the setup. This will increase total volume and allow for much better oxygen exchange and many other purposes. Think of a good skimmer (asm's are my favorites) and think of a good amount of rock/sand.

vegan114

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
New mexico
I have researched online but from what I learned after getting my brackish tank there is a ton of wrong info. :( I just want to make certain I set it up right and don't kill any fish. I already have a tank if I take it to petsmart or another pet store will they put a hole in it for me? I haven't made up my mind on coral but we are limited to the money we have. If nothing else I may upgrade as we go along with it. I have read online there is good and bad brand of live sands and rocks what should I stay away from and what is good?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
petsmart and petco do not do tank drilling. My guess without seeing the tank is that its not going to be possible due to tempered glass. I could be wrong but who knows. The next best thing is to get an aftermarket overflow.

This is a cheap method that works fine:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+18358&pcatid=18358

I would get the 300gph model. Running a lot of gph through a small sump is a good way to introduce a lot of micro bubbles into the tank. Instead run 200-250 gph and get the rest of the turnover in PH's. Any kind of sump will work. I would get one that would allow you to have a skimmer in it. This will give you great efficiency.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
princess;1717118; said:
ugh........research.
what do you think he's/she's doing?

yeah what you'd NEED is really dependant on what you're planning on keeping....
unless you're willing to put out for a sump/etc i wouldn't try and overflow they tend to be un-sightly but you can easily make one yourself with some black PVC and some silicone glue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store