Ick.. Worse before better?

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
Alright well, I couldn't manage the hypo salinity, so i got a QT tank set up, and put the fish in it, dosed it with copper... Now today, 12 hours after dosing, the white dots seem to be more, and more prominant.. looks like there "coming out" of the fish? is this a good sighn? Do i not have enough copper? Damn marine is so finicky lol!

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
marine disease is a pain lol. Sounds like there getting ready to drop to me. Seeing it for myself would be better but as long as the number of spots hasn't increased then id say there starting to drop. Continue the treatment as recommended and hope for the best.

I would recommend lowering the SG a bit while treating with copper. Leaving the fish in low saline conditions will prevent most further infections giving them time to get strong and also killing he disease completely from the QT. Slowly raise it once ready to add (6 weeks) and then add them vie drip acclimation. try to catch the fish with a clear container instead of a net and place them into the DT the same way. This will reduce air exposure and further stress.

If your not interested in adding just a small amount of plain ro water or treated water, whatever the source, then make sure you keep a very close eye on the fish to make sure the disease did not survive the treatment. Honestly easier to just dump in a small amount of plain water a little at a time to slowly lower the SG.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
I agree with sweettang.
Unless your fish looks like its ready to die i would raise the temperature. This Speeds up the lifecycle of the parasite
Slowly take a little saltwater out and adding RO. The virus is weaker than your fish and will die faster in lower salinity
Also keep up with the copper treatment
Also gravel vac your main tank very good to kill off all the parisites barried in the sand
Let your Qt sit for a while with a hi high temperature without a fish, to ensure the parasitesdies out
Ive lost some aweesome fish to ick! Goodluck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store