moving an established tank safely

vegan114

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
New mexico
We found a very good deal in a tank on craigslist. My concern is that there is one live fish (a clown) and some live sand. What is the safest way to move the tank and not kill the fish? Do I still need to let the tank cycle once I get it home if so how long till he can go back into his tank?

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
u needa save as much if not all the water if possible.

put the fish, and some water from the tank, into a bin big enough for the fish. you can even put some of the live sand in with the fish as well.

then put the water in other bins, and put all the live sand in the bins of water. bring the tank home and put all the old water back in, put the live sand back in, then the fish back in after u have the tank up n running with its original filter.

make sure to keep the media from the filter sitting in water from the tank as well so all the good stuff doesn't die off.

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
ethnics;1720103; said:
u needa save as much if not all the water if possible.

put the fish, and some water from the tank, into a bin big enough for the fish. you can even put some of the live sand in with the fish as well.

then put the water in other bins, and put all the live sand in the bins of water. bring the tank home and put all the old water back in, put the live sand back in, then the fish back in after u have the tank up n running with its original filter.

make sure to keep the media from the filter sitting in water from the tank as well so all the good stuff doesn't die off.

I would so it that route also....If your transfering all the from the tank, there should not be a need to cycle per say....You'll get a param spike yes, but this should settle after a day or two..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store