Not Everybody Needs Cichlids.

groovitudedude

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
San Diego
I've noticed lately on MFK and other fish keeping forums that a lot of people tend to give the new people the idea that cichlids are necessary fish to have. :nilly: Even if this is not the case, I am rather disturbed at the mention of how cichlids are wonderful fish that everybody should keep. :irked:

Don't get me wrong, I believe that cichlids are some of the most beautiful fish ever, but they are just not suited for the community tank. I'm sure that all of you know this, but just saying "Get cichlids" is too general. You should say something less confusing that cannot lead to a bad decision, like "Get another tank for cichlids" or "Clear out that tank and get some cichlids". I know people who have gotten cichlids because someone online told them to, and I had to point them in the right direction.

Like I said, I AM NOT A CICHLID HATER, but I made this thread for the same reason that I would not suggest, say, pirahnas, or RTCs to people. I believe that we should all be a little more careful when giving information so we are not misunderstood.

In conclusion, I keep a few cichlids myself (namely a ran, angels, and severums in the 55G, and a weirdo in my 100G), but I just think that they are not good for everybody. Thank you!

PS: I hope some of you don't think that I'm a :screwy: hypocrite, I'm not trying to be rude or anything to that effect. I love cichlids!

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
When you are right, you are right.

Bonzo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2007
CA
Word. Learn your cichlid before getting some. I guess the reason that people suggest cicchlid is because that there are som many kind of cichlid to choose from and they suit tanks of different kind.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I can honestly say that this is the first time that I agree with you!! lol

groovitudedude

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
San Diego
jcardona1;1735831; said:
I can honestly say that this is the first time that I agree with you!! lol
Do not get a Clown Loach for a 1 Gallon tank.

Hopefully that's two! ;)

But seriously, I'm that bad? Wow, sorry :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store