What to feed my new 11'' florida gar?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I just got an 11'' florida gar and I am wondering what to feed him. I usually go w/ guppies for my oscars and pacus because i find feeder goldfish to be dirty. I found another pet store that seems to have some clean goldfish but dont know if I should go that route. I throw tetras in for feeders as well but that gets rather pricey.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
aside frm any live feeders, you can also feed prawns or shrimp or anything meaty, just make sure that the gars get food, as their boisterious tankmates such as oscars will likely out compete them for food. another note, oscars and pacu are generally bad tankmates for gars.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
mine like raw shrimp, insects, fish fillet, smelt, pellets, fd krill, you name it. a varied diet is essential in keeping them healthy.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I am giving away my two oscars...atleast trying(9'' tiger/7'' albino). Why are pacus bad tankmates for my gar?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
gangster;1729532; said:
I am giving away my two oscars...atleast trying(9'' tiger/7'' albino). Why are pacus bad tankmates for my gar?
some pacu can be very aggressive therefore they may injure the gar. my mix has been working great. all i do is divide them at feeding time to keep the pacu calm (she gets very excited during feedings). i dont recommend mixing them, but they may be ok together as long as you take the proper precautions and keep a VERY close eye on them.

also...younger pacu do tend to be more aggressive than the adults, so you will want to be very carefull. i would also suggest keeping your pacu on a fruit, veggie, and nut diet. people claim that feeding them feeders and meats contributes to their aggression.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
My pacus arent really aggressive..The oscars run the tank. but the pacus arent scared to swim up in front of the oscars and steal their food. My pacus seem pretty calm. They mainly eat large cichlid pellats. Ive had 4 calls for my oscars in a couple hours...They were taken in the first twenty minutes...gettin picked up tommorow.

teguc1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
eugene, Or
I am a big fisherman and actually have started feeding mine the uncooked scraps from sturgeon, salmon, and other fish. my 18" Spotted absolutely digs the sturgeon. I figure it is a whole lot healthier to feed good quality scraps then crappy feeders.

teguc1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
eugene, Or
In Oregon you can only keep one sturgeon between 48"-60". I usually get it packaged and when it has been in the freezer for more than about 4 months the parts closest to the crease areas where the bones are turns a different color and begins to taste more fishy. I love sturgeon becuase it is more sharky then fishy. Between my wife and we usually bring home about 50lbs of package sturgeon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store