Live rock = no nitrate ?

squirt2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
MA
My 20 gallon tank houses 25# live rock and 10# reef rock. The flow in the tank is 350 gallons per hour. I've only 2 yellow tailed damsels, 1 mushroom coral and hermit crabs. I've got an internal skimmer that uses a maxi jet.
My concern is that I wanted a setup that eliminates nitrate ( hence all the live rock) but I don't see it coming down yet and it's 2 months now. Do I need
more water movement? I do regular 10-15% changes ea. week. It et doesn't
get above 15ppm but it's not good enough.

zerelli

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2007
USA
Liverock is not going to eliminate nitrate. If anything it is more likely to be a source of what nitrates you might have. To lower nitrates, keep your skimmer cup clean and maybe get a bigger/better skimmer.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
skimmer water changes and a fuge thick n full with caulpera and a deep sand bed + a denitrator and it never hursts to have a fbf

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
I would suggest a better skimmer too....

As as side note....Lots of live rock, when used in conjunction with a proper deep sand bed, 8 inches or more, can in fact remove nitrates, its the natural operation de-nitrification. In practice, this is something which does take a lot of work.Hence, why we go down the route of using a skimmer to aid in the process..

If you would like, please read more here...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nitratesmar.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store