Filtered water

daboyprince23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
BROOOOKLYN
Can i use the filtered water from my refridgerator? On the Dasani water bottle it says the water was filtered using reverse osmosis would using it being ok for saltwater?

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
umm i believe true ro is to pure to drink if u go on some online merchants of ro units it has a warning not to use it for drinking water.the way it regains nutrients is when salt is added. if yours isd safe to drink then perhaps that it leaves nutrients and that doesnt allow u to control what goes in and out

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
amehel0;1731485; said:
umm i believe true ro is to pure to drink if u go on some online merchants of ro units it has a warning not to use it for drinking water.the way it regains nutrients is when salt is added. if yours isd safe to drink then perhaps that it leaves nutrients and that doesnt allow u to control what goes in and out

The only variety of RO water not to drink is RO/DI as far as i know....

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
RO/DI is not safe for drinking. There starting to make systems with nutrient replacement chambers that the water will pass through adding some nutrient levels back in. surprisingly they were rated pretty good. I cant remember were i saw this unit or the name of it, but i think it was GE. seems GE is always doing something high end lol. ill search and maybe keep ya posted.

Regular 2 stage RO would be fine water to drink, and dasani only uses 1 poly micron filter and carbon block. Removing only the chlorine, any ammonia in the water, and most nitrite and nitrate. i believe the poly block also removes pesticides as well. not sure.

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
i was thinking RO water is ok to drink because my auntie lives in a high limescale area and needs to use RO water.....hmmmmm interesting

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
well theres a difference between RO and RO/DI, adding the distilation process to Reverse Osmosis makes it that much more pure. Regular Reverse Osmosis will purifie the water and depending on the material the water is filtering it through will determine if its safe to drink or not. They make specially designed unit for such reasons.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
sweeTang21;1733137; said:
well theres a difference between RO and RO/DI, adding the distilation process to Reverse Osmosis makes it that much more pure. Regular Reverse Osmosis will purifie the water and depending on the material the water is filtering it through will determine if its safe to drink or not. They make specially designed unit for such reasons.

reverse osmosis/de-ionization

distilled water is what they sell as drinking water...

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
I am far from an expert but I believe that whoever said that pure water is dangerous in mistaken... kind of.

Basically super pure water, in theory, can hurt you (or a fish) but ONLY in theory. The reason is that a cell uses osmsis to regulate itself and it is used to impure water. Pure water is nearly a perfect solvent and will enter the cell too fast and could either burst the cell or make the cell permeable to everything. Either way, the cell dies.

The reason this can't happen is because it is too hard to maintain pure water. For a person drinking it, they would have to have no food or other liquids in their body. Also, dead skin, saliva, stomach acid, etc is enough to impurify the water if you haven't eaten or drank in weeks (and was miraculously alive enough to purify water and drink it). Your fridge can't make water that pure anyway and outside of a lab you souldn't maintain this water long enough to get it to your lips or in your tank.

An Ro merchant might put a lable on it just to stay on the safe side or because the materials used to make the product are not aproved for human consumtion. Not necesarily dangerous, just no fda inspection. To sum up, RO/DI is not inherently dangerous.

Yes you can use water from your fridge although you will start to use up your filters really fast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store