Yellow Tang in 75?

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
Well, im in the process of figuring out the clean up of my tank but ive come upon another bumb in the road. I would love to have a yellow tang because they're so energetic, but i also realize this may make them unsuitable for my tank. I will have a lot of open space along with live rock for them to explore but im just not sure. If the majority of you think it will be fine then ill just stick with the yellow. If not, i was thinking maybe a convict tang. Or are they also not suitable for a 75? If neither are, and you could reccomend any tangs that are better suitable for a 75, please tell me.

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
A yellow tang is the only tang i, personally, would ever add to a 75...All the rest would not recommend in less than a 100 gal minimum, some tangs the minimum would be larger than that...So, in my opinion, a YT in there would be fine...

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
yeah there's a debate about it, but i also agree that 75 is only minimal...
some say 55 and some say 6' tanks are the min... i think he'll be ok in a 75 for a very long time even if he grows into a major monster of a tang...

and by then you'll probably have a 125 or a 150 anyway, lol

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
i agree. Theres a large debate about it as said, but i know many reef keepers who have a tang in a 75 gallon. I feel the larger the better for them but at least its big enough for swimming room

jboogie196

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
bronx ny
i recently bought a yellow rim tang and it lasted me 4 days it died today it had white spots on it i think its called ick?

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
I would get a convict tand with it, but two problems. First, i imagine that would be too much on the filter considering im getting tons of other fish. Second, ive read that the convict would get bullied by other tangs. I would get both if i had like, a 125 (which i do but its for my turtle), but heck, maybe ill convince my mom to get another big tank if i tell her ill put it in the basement near the utility sink... (Probably not)

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
Would a convict tang work in a 75?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
should be okay. With any tang its a good idea to provide plenty of swimming room. You will not be able to have any other tangs in that tank, and it may even be hard to keep other tangs in larger tanks with him because of there standards for harassment lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store