water changes

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Sorry this is a dumb question, but I want to know the answer. when you do a water change on a larger tank and you are replacing large volumes of water how do you go about getting the salinity correct? I mean do you have to mix it in buckets then pour it all in or can you do it some how with a python running? Thanks

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
If it were me and it will be soon, I would get a large rubber maid tub, fill it with water treat with prime, add the salt, let it mix for a bit with a power head, then used the power head on the end of a python and pump it into the tank.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
I have a Brute garbage can in the basement, with an external pump plumbed to the outside. After mixing for a few days (heater inside bucket) I test the SG to match the tank. With the turn of a valve, it pumps the SW upstairs thru a hose, to fill my 3 SW tanks. (They are drained with a Python into the basement.) I also have a RODI filtration system, that fills the bucket with 0 TDS water.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Brute cans work great. Plumbing them with pumps is fun lol. I had an internal and external pump on mine and one's for circulation and the other is for sending.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Haha, I have a pipefitter for a husband! :p

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
wells thats not very nice lol. I wish i had the resource as well, my plans are to big for my ability lol, like running pipes under the floors and in to every room, tanks all going to one are where sumps and fuges would be at. In my mind that would be sweet, but could be a plumbing nightmare.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store