Media Changes on Eheim 2217

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
I am just curious, I have a Channel Cat and a largemouth bass and a Bluegill in a 75 G. (I know its on the crowded side)

I bought the Eheim 2217 2 months ago, now I am going on the third month and my water parameters are still good. I perform bi-weekly water changes.

Now my question is , when should I buy new media for the Eheim 2217?

Should I replace all the parts inside the canister?

If I dont, then which ones can I just rinse out and put it back inside?

Thanks

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
I don't think you need to change the media. Just the foam when they start falling apart. Just rinse the media and you're set.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Assuming you bought this new and it has stock eheim media. You do not need to change any of the media in your 2217. Rinse you both of the filter padsa and the efhimech(hollow rings) with hot tap water nad remove as much particle debree as possible.

The ehfisubstrat(rock like media) is what houses your beneficial bacteria and your will only want to rinse this media with tank water and besure not to let it dry out.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Bderick67;1735196;1735196 said:
Assuming you bought this new and it has stock eheim media. You do not need to change any of the media in your 2217. Rinse you both of the filter padsa and the efhimech(hollow rings) with hot tap water nad remove as much particle debree as possible.

The ehfisubstrat(rock like media) is what houses your beneficial bacteria and your will only want to rinse this media with tank water and besure not to let it dry out.
Exactly as he said, except I call the ehfisubstrat pro coco-pebbles. :D

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I was wondering now, I am about to maintanance my eheim 2217 again for the second time since I bought it.....Should I just follow the same routine and Rinse the ehfisubrstrat under tank water and the filter pads and ehfimech under tap water?

Is there anything that would need any replacement like the carbon pad? the white pad? the blue pad? or the ehfimech or ehfisustrat?

Thanks

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Carbon pads need to be replaced very frequently, I don't recommend using them in canisters. The white and blue pads may or may not need replacing, depending on the quality they are in currently. The ehfimech and ehfisubstrat/ehfisubstrat pro, do not need replacing ever, but you may need to add some after many years of use.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
japes;1965863; said:
Eheim say 6 months to a year, however I have absolutely no problems with mine 8 months down the track and I haven't even cleaned the filter yet :p
they say that to make money, there are people on this site that have been using the same bio media for over 20 years...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store