Nano Reef Suggestions (list enclosed)

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
Hello,

I'm rather new at SW but I've been keeping FW for over a decade now. I'm converting a 29g nano-cube into a reef tank and could use a little guidance with the livestock. I'll list off which speicies I'm interested into getting for my tank and I'd like your feedback. I'm not going to put all of these creatures in the tank, I probably will actually only put a handful total. This is simply my "top choices" and your input is going to help me decide!

Probably going to be mostly liverock/sand with soft and sps corals. I would really like to keep some anemones as well, and could use suggestions on which species I'd be able to have multiples of in a 29g.

Fish
Black Ocellaris Clownfish
True Percula Clownfish (pair)
Court Jester Goby
Zebra Barred Dartfish
Misc. Watchman Gobies
Sleeper Banded Goby
Tobacco Basslet
Tail Spot Blenny
Two Spot Goby
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
Catalina Goby (yay so cal!)
Leaf Fish

Inverts
Emerald Mithrax Crab
Zebra Hermit Crab
Poreclain Aenomone Crab
Staghorn Hermit Crab
Bumble Bee Snail
Red Footed Conch
Sexy Anemone Shrimp
Bumble Bee Shrimp
Camel Shrimp
Lettuce Sea Slug
Flying Scallop
Fan Worms
Anemones: Bulb, Condy, Long Tentacle

Once again, I'm not planning on putting all these species into a 29g tank! This is simply a list of creatures I think are interesting and would like to know which would work well in a 29g nano reef. Lightning is going to be in the blue scales, btw.

Thanks in advanced for the help! I'll post a thread with pictures each week of my progress. (Once I evict the last of the FW fish in the tank currently)

Have Fun!

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
if you want SPS you'd better mod that light. they barely keep LPS alive...

as for your stocking I'D do something like this....

the clown pair
the bass (but it'd be a chalk or blackcap)
the court jester
and like a shrimp goby, orange spot or yellow

for inverts:
pistol shrimp for goby
2-3 mixed lysmata shrimps prolly one of each
2 emerald crabs
a few nassarius snails, some astreas and a couple hermits...

i'd stay away from most of the pgoto synthetics (nems and such) till you can upgrade lighting...

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
from your list i would personally choose

True Percula Clownfish (pair)
Court Jester Goby
Zebra Barred Dartfish
Tobacco Basslet

and for inverts i like

peppermint shrimp
Bumble Bee Shrimp ( these are really cute!, i'm getting a couple myself)
mithrax crab ( i like the red ones )
nassarius snails - i have one and they are excellent! they are well trained to pop up when the fish have finished eating and pick up th tiny bits really fast! mine even eats my fishys poop.

and may i suggest the halloween hermit crab. i really love mine,they arn't shy and are colourful and also get bigger than the red legged hermit crab. mine has just changed his shell which was entertaining to watch!

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
the only reason i swayed away from the tobbacco specifically is be cause you also wanted quite a few small inverts and fish (court jester, certain watchmans, the blenny, orange goby, catalina, sexy shrimp, porcelin crab....)

if they weren't kept together i would have no worries about either...

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
yeah scrap the Tobacco Basslet get the blenny instead! :D altho the Tobacco Basslet does sound pretty cool.....i read up that it needs 100G tank long term? i was chatting with the guy at my lfs and he said 1 would be ok in my 15G! they do look pretty.

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
After discussing the list with my girlfriend, I think we're leaning towards:

Pair of True Percula Clowns, Two Spot Goby or Court Jester Goby, Tail Spot Blenny, Scooter Blenny, and maybe a watchman or zebra barred dartfish. For inverts. it looks like: some hermits, bumble bee snail, pom pom crab, sexy anemone shrimp (probably 2-3), peppermint shrimp, porcelain anemone crab (maybe), staghorn hermit, bumble bee shrimp, leaf fish, flying scallop, a small group of fan worms, and some anemones (maybe 2).

Since I'm rather new at corals I'm not sure which to get exactly. I know that my girl really likes the soft bodies. We're thinking of starting out with some polyps and mushrooms most likely. Then progress to some more sps and such as we gain more knowledge through research.

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming.

Have Fun!

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
soft corals are going to be the easiest to keep. The tank will need to mature for a while before the addition of an anemone. Add the clowns last, just to avoid any territorial issues.

What lights does the kit your looking at getting come with?? im guessing PC's. If so this should be okay for anemones.

Aesop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
Garden Grove
sweeTang21;1740944; said:
soft corals are going to be the easiest to keep. The tank will need to mature for a while before the addition of an anemone. Add the clowns last, just to avoid any territorial issues.

What lights does the kit your looking at getting come with?? im guessing PC's. If so this should be okay for anemones.

It's this tank:
http://www.aquacon.com/nanotanks.html

The bulbs are 10k daylight and actinic 03 blue. It also has 3 moonlight LEDs that switch on when the lights are off. From the videos of this tank, along with one being set up at my LFS with a reef in it, I'd say it looks to have enough lightning, but I don't know what's up.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
it looks to be sufficient. my tank (avatar) runs on PC's for now. I ordered a nice retro VHO kit with 6 bulbs, pushing my tank over 250 watts, on a 65 gallon. Im going for 300 watts by adding another bulb on a smaller ballast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store