anyone know anything about keeeping octopus

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
just wondering cuz when i was getting feeders yesterday i noticed they had a small octopus. i was thinking about getting him but i know nothing about them except they need salt water. so any info would be great.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Need to make that tank escape proof. They will get out if there is any opportunity

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
i havent got it yet im researching them and getting all the info i can.

cjack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Fish Planet, Deerfield Illinois
yeah 100% escape proof, no holes, no hoses without a super secure screen, lots of hiding places (live rock that has been cured), and i think the most important thing is that they eat crabs so get a bunch before you get the octopus. Another thing to think about is that they have a relatively low survival rate in captivity...an author in TFH had an octopus that lived 8 months i think and then it gave birth and died to feed its young.

artemis1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
wiscawwnsin
Needs to be escape proof as mentioned before. Also, they need lots of hiding spots and healthy food. Not to mention octopi generally only live about a year (excluding the pacific giant that lives a three or so years)- but have so much personality it's definately worth it. Do LOTS of research before investing in a buy. They are expensive, but it pays off if you succeed.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
like said octos can push them selfs threw the tinyist of hole they have no bones to stop them and are great climbers most of the time they can't be kept with other fish unless alot bigger most will just get eaten

not very long lived but can be very colorful and interactive keep in mind some octopus are poisonous

cjack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Fish Planet, Deerfield Illinois
i would say no tankmates unless they are for food, possibility of harrassment makes me nervous. the only thing that prohibits the octopus escape is its beak, so if there are any holes larger than its beak it can and probobly will escape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store