A natural no filter or skimmer tank

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Here is my idea,
Many people have done freshwater tanks with no filter that are called el naturale or something along the lines of that. What they do is get an equal balance of fish to plants. The plants take in the co2 the fish make and create o2 and oxygenate the water, they deal with some of the waste of the fish and the bacteria takes care of the rest, they also take care of nitrates. Basically a natural filter since they do even more than what I have listed. I have done one FW tank like this and it worked out well. I didn't even need lights I use the sun for my lighting system and lots o snails to take care of the algae. No heater either all fish that live at my constant house temp which is always above 68, and never more than 80. I was wondering if anyone has done this with saltwater tanks. If so are there any informative pages about them?
Here is what I though I would do, 50 gallon or whatever I can get my hands on used cheaply for 20 bucks. It would just be the tank no filter stand or protein skimmer nothing just a tank. Then I would add some LR and LS and mix in mineral mud. I would probably add some lava rock too since its cheap and will turn into LR so probably half live half dead. I would put on a temporary filter while everything cures and cycles after plants are added. Some type of seagrass to cover about half the tank but spread out and serve as a refuge for offspring whatever it may be: fish, shrimp, what ever reproduces. Then more plants like maidens hair and misc other plants. Then come the snails here is my list if its a 20-30 gallon, 4 pyramid snail, 10 magaritas, 2 turbos, 4 astreas. Then the 1 lysmata amboinesis (ha 18 bucks here), some type of nudibranch since they are so cool, live brine shrimp to reproduce and create food and some other cnidarian species probably a sea star of some sort.
Here is where it gets fun ......the fish!
I would buy 1 algae blenny, 3 yellowtail blue damsel fish, 2 firefish, then some type of medium sized herbivorous fish to do my pruning for me :grinno:. Then possibly a clown of some sort still a little unsure about it they seem to fragile for a non heated tank.
Oh here is the best part I found the best light source to replicate the spectrum of the sun, the time cycle of night and day, and the proper amount of watts per gallon..... the best part is.... ITS FREE! Have you guessed yet? THE SUN! I'm going to park this tank next to a big window that gets great direct sunlight almost all day. AWE YA!
All in all I estimate a cost of 300 dollars for this whole project. I will only do it if I get a summer job. Either this or convert my 150 gallon to SW and make a pond for my freshies.
Tell me what you think of my idea it could just be a total stupid thing to do also I would appreciate your thoughts.
Serafino

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
au naturale... and i think you'd need a big tank for that to work...

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
i have a friend that has done this and it is working for him,the only diffrence is he has got metal halides.his tank looks nice but i think he may have to add a skimmer as there is a bit of scum that collects in one corner

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
i think you'd need some wavemakers at least... but otherwise i know some people have tried setups like these and they seem to work
one guy on here [i forget who] actually has one with only lights and pumps i think, and he has quite a nice selection of coral

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
Ok, here are a few pics of the inhabitants....Anyone who knows me from AC will know i dont do full tank shots, but, eventually, you'll be able to piece it all together....

Who says filters and skimmers are needed for corals to thrive.... ;)

Pics in no real order....

1.jpg

4.jpg

AC_Hermit1.jpg

Clowns.jpg

Shroom.jpg

Shroom_Close.jpg

Snail.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store