heating needs

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I have a sump, that’s in my garage, the first night it dropped to 40F and my tank almost crashed it dropped to 72F, the very bottom of what the fish could handle. So I built a box and placed about 3 inches of insulation underneath and around the sump, and placed to layers of old carpet on top. Tonight when it dropped to 40F my tank only lost 2 degrees dropping to 78F, so I am almost there, I have approximately 60 - 65 gallons in the tank + sump with a 200 watt heater. Do you think bumping up to a 300 watt heater will get me through the winter? As it is now I’ll make it through the spring and summer only loosing 2 degrees. Winter avg is about 30F but with lows as low as -3F, so I want to get prepared now so that I don’t wake up to dead or very sick fish this winter. one last bit of information, the tank is in the house and the house stays around 70, the garage is always as cold if not a little colder than the outside temp, and I want the tank at 80F with acceptable drops of only 2 degrees.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Thanks[/FONT]

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
any one?

Gypsy69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
South East
I'd ask the same question as cmoazz. Also you could consider adding another heater, meaning put one on each end of the tank to better disperse the heat. I have 6 RBP's in a 125 and that is what I do to keep the temp dead constant 82 degrees and it works perfect.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Ok I have the oheater in the sump as I dont want anything that i dont have to in the tank. Already mad at my self for using two 1" DIY overflows rather than one 1.5. Maybe I'll replace the overflow some time this summer. So just to recap, place another 200w heater in the sump and set it for like 78, just to make sure I dont have a big drop?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
nfored;1753148; said:
Ok I have the oheater in the sump as I dont want anything that i dont have to in the tank. Already mad at my self for using two 1" DIY overflows rather than one 1.5. Maybe I'll replace the overflow some time this summer. So just to recap, place another 200w heater in the sump and set it for like 78, just to make sure I dont have a big drop?

yes thats what i do...........and imo that will work for you to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store