custom tank full glass questions

captain.cerezo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Guam
hey guys,

I want to build a custom tank and I hear 1000s cost around 3k if you do 3 sides of wood.

I want to do a full glass and I really want a 450gal and a 720 - 750 gal.

I figure a 750 would be something like 80x60x25" im just wondering ballpark what the glass would cost? I'm assuming the majority cost of any tank is the glass. I figure I might as well spend some money on making a huge glass tank as Ive already spent 1500$ on a 210 glass tank and a stained wood stand. I have a 72 and 50 and I'm just looking to make something that I won't need to upgrade for a while and my ego problems will still be under control for a year or two :eek:

Basically my concerns for now are total cost... just a ballpark
a tek for the process of making a glass tank properly of this size would be great too.

I was thinking of getting a 4 sided enclourse made of stainless steel and just having a glass front. would be very durable and likely cheaper than making a full glass tank of this size and easier. I figure this way I could probably make a 1000gal with a 1" glass front for the cost of a proper all glass 750.

I looked into a tank of this size at local places and asked a couple of my fish friends and some of my fish friends said 8-10 and fish places said between 10 and 14.

thanks ;0 Bedtime for me .... 7:15am.

captain.cerezo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Guam
considering the size... it takes like 2 super strong ****ers or 3 strong people to carry a 210, 4 to do it safely imo.

how much would this **** weigh with proper glass thickness im assuming at least 300lbs? thinking up to 400lbs? its hard for me to guess because I do lift weights but I don't carry long hollow weights with friends and see what they weigh :p

acrylic is appearently stronger than glass and 1/3 the weight, with proper care I hear it won't scratch, but i unno....

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
youcan run ur finger along acrylic and putseveral hundred scratches in it. glass would need to be in the 25-30mm range and that is seriously expensive in aussie dollars around 15000. i dont know how but u would need a steel frame. i would personally use scs1200 silicone

captain.cerezo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Guam
25.4mm = 1inch

I hear that 3/4 inch is plenty for virtually any indoor tank, I believe I read a 2400gal using 3/4inch. I know that that dude on here who has a 15 and 52 thousand gal tank at 9feet of water using 3/4 and 1inch glass.

I figured id need braces and possibly a frame around the top and bottom of the tank.

I think the cost of glass would be around 5000$ shipped in canadian dollars, cheaper if I can find a refinery within driving distance... to be honest id drive just about anywhere in canada to transport the glass safely and if the cost of gas was less than shipping which I'm sure it would be.

I need to figure out how I want to construct this in terms of structual integrity and having it hold water. I'm assuming the seams/silicone would be hard to achieve properly on a tank this large. The frame seems like it would be tricky too, as it's useless unless it's very snug to the glass.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Finding a local supplier for the glass may be difficult. A friend of mine that owns a LFS was saying that it is getting increasingly hard to find glass over 1/2" thick. I don't know if this is true all over or just here in the Northwest.

captain.cerezo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Guam
hmm that sucks

I was on a site im not sure if im allowed to post the url or not but 3/4" thick glass was 21 $ a sq foot and 28$ for starphire + shipping, I'd honestly probably just drive and get it. I'm assuming this is like a few hundred pounds of glass and I wouldn't want it to break.

im going to try looking around for a local supplier.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
captain.cerezo;1751390; said:
does anyone know if starphire is stronger than normal glass?

its the low iron glass that is more transparent
My guess would be that it NOT as strong as normal glass... but I don't know for certain.

captain.cerezo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Guam
same everything except for colour viewability and its about 1/3 extra cost.

the dimensions I wanted aren't availible at the place I'm going to get glass from if I can't find a place closer.

I think the dimensions are going to be 130"x49 1/2"x36 1/2" which is around 1000 gals. I might just go with this.. go on a road trips and start work on a concrete slab and dress it up with a oak box so it looks like a wooden stand with a matching canopy.

I need to engineer this tank the glass is going to be 3/4" thick i may put it in the empty part of my laundry room and have it viewing from my "office" if I want to not save money but not have to get all that glass.. if I did this id get a single 130 x 49 1/2 x 36 1/2 starphire front. which would probably be like 1200 shipped.

anyways I want to have an overflow if not two -- thinking standard front overflows which would be on the opposite of the front viewing plane of glass, ill probably have corner braces and 2 if not 3 braces across the tank as its fairly wide... 130 inch is like 11 and some odd feet.

i want to have a sump but im not sure where id have it located.. or how big it would be... I want to have 33 - 40 gal of bioballs, a coloumn of sponge materials, and a column of charcoal/zeolite/w.e else --- followed by a sock or I might rig up an assortment of 100-220 micron ss printing screens I have left over from my... printing hobby.

cost for the glass, silicone, sucksion cups is 3000$ btw

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store