Large rocks and driftwood

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I look at these pictures of some of your tanks with all the huge rock structures and driftwood and the look really cool. I want to do something like this to give my tank a more natural look and give the fish somewhere to hide, but I don't even know where to start. First of all, how do you stack these huge rocks without them falling over, and second, where do you find these huge pieces of driftwood. My tank looks really sad compared to some others I have seen. Help!

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
It all depends on the fish you have in the tank. Lava rocks will raise PH while Driftwood will lower PH. Most of the tanks filled with rocks are most likely African Cichlids. These guys require high PH which is what their natural habitat is. Those tanks you see lots of driftwood are more NA/SA tropical tanks where PH are much lower.

Most rocks can be purchased at your local landscaping company. Actually, these places will be the cheapest for lava rocks. For driftwood, try ebay. There's a lot of sellers on there with nice pictures of the dw so you can pick and choose.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
Ebay is good for driftwood. It is still expensive though.

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I don't understand how people stack rock in their aquariums??? I would be afraid of it falling and breaking my tank.

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
get the huge fake rock like I did, very big boulders, saw in half exactly then you have two for the price of one push them back against the back of the aquarium.

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
Also, you can put Eggcrate at the bottom of the tank so when a rock falls, the impact is not on the glass. This is what I did with my tank. It also makes it easier to place the rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store