How to shim a tank.....

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
I have a 135gal tank. It has a foot print of 72x18. Its not level. The water level is slightly forward and to the right.(water level is higher on the right side than on the left) Its on a DIY stand that is level, but the floor is concret with a thick carpet which isnt level. The stand is a frame of 2x4s and wrapped in plywood around the sides and top. the bottom is just 2x4s.... can i shim this some how?

L A R R Y

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Texas
I had the same problem with my 150 and what I did to fix this was I added adjustable feet to the four corners to the stand. When I built the stand, I added square steel tubing to give more support for the heavy tank/water/gravel. Now I can make small adjustments since I moved and had to level the tank back out, because now my floors are level as they were not in my previous house

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
so could i put a shim under one of the corners to level out the tank without putting stress on the stand/tank? would this be the way to shim a tank? by just putting a shim under the side that is not level?

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
I went to the rockler store(any woodworking store should have them)and bought some leveler feet each support like 600 lbs and are adjustable

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Is there anyway i can do the leveling with out removing all the water? say if i leave 6 inches of water in it, could i still level it, or does it need to be completly drained?

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
can you lift 333+ lbs i'd drain it i know its a pain

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i had the same issue when i setup my 210 this weekend. i just used regular wood shims under the stand. tank was about halfway full and i got the shims in with a hammer. prob wouldnt have been able to do it if the tank was full though...

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
jcardona1;1753102; said:
i had the same issue when i setup my 210 this weekend. i just used regular wood shims under the stand. tank was about halfway full and i got the shims in with a hammer. prob wouldnt have been able to do it if the tank was full though...
Thats exactly how i thought about doing it! but i was sure if i could or not. what do your shims look like? i was going to pick some up tomorrow, but wanted to know what i was suppose to be looking for. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store