making a mating pair of clownfish

azcummins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Texas!
I bought a pair of ocellaris clowns - one larger, one smaller - hoping they'd become a mating pair, but the larger one ended up beating up and eventually killing the smaller one. Any chances on getting another smaller clown and getting them to become a mating pair?

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
i would kind of agree there with Zoodiver...

All that has just happened with the two clowns is that the smaller one was simply not strong enough to take the stamp of dominance from the larger female....You want the next clown to be very similar size, you could go smaller, yes, but if you go too small, a similar thing will happen again...

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
i though you need a group of clowns to get a breeding group ?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
adding another one may be difficult becasue now its the larger clowns tank. Its best to get two clown of the same size, and i like trying to get both from the same tank, then letting them grow. Nature will take its course and soon you will have a male and female.

azcummins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Texas!
Hmm...ok, I've giving the bigger one a couple of days to calm down and then I'm going to introduce a couple of new fish with the new clown.

Isn't it female nature to be dominating though...? :j/k:

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
azcummins;1759230; said:
Hmm...ok, I've giving the bigger one a couple of days to calm down and then I'm going to introduce a couple of new fish with the new clown.

Isn't it female nature to be dominating though...? :j/k:

Oh yes indeed :headbang2 ....woopsy...did i say that out aloud??? my bad ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store