Overflow or Normal?

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
I purchased an Eheim 2250 from someone and he had it setup with an overflow box. I currently have it running but it's quite a pain to maintain. When the water level gets low and the overflow drains, it's a big air bubble in the 2250 and the filter stops. I have to empty out the canister again, grab the bucket and fill more water until there's more than enough then get the overflow going.

The big plus with the overflow is it keeps the surface really clean and free of any debris and film. This I really like.

Should I keep the overflow or should I put back the original intake tube that goes inside the tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

AJordan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2006
Suburban Boston
Personally I would go back to a more standard intake tube and add a surface skimmer attachment if you feel that is important. I used one with a fluval; the skimmer part actually floats so when the water level changes things still work.

gunnerx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
I might just go back to a regular intake but I'll see how the overflow goes. I think I'll just have to keep an eye on it and keep topping it off. I've never had one before and this is my first big tank. I was quite surprised at how quickly the water evaporates. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out skimmers the next time I'm at BA's.

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
You could do what I do and just use the overflow for a sump. I just run a filter sock to catch debris in the sump and don't use it as any other type of filtration. I do this for two reasons. First to hide heaters and second to keep the water level in the tank constant. I use canister filters with a conventional setup for mechanical and biological filtering.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store