Someone relieve my 290 gallon tank problem

hamadee87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Dubai
Hello guys,

We have a 290 gallon tank with the dimensions length 120in width 18in height 20in. It used to be a marine tank with a few fishes so we had no probs with filtration. ever since we converted to freshwater the problems started. To cut the long story short, after many attempts to design a filtration system that would maintain the tank clean we have failed to achieve this. I think that maybe the flaw is in the original design of the drainage as detailed below:

1. the tank was designed with 2 outlet pipes to the filter at the top of each end of the tank, the 2 pipes are 3/4inch each.

2. The inlet from the filter is only one 1/2inch pipe:WHOA:.

The problem is that i have to work with these pipes only since they are built in the houses walls in cocrete and they cant be moved.These pipes drain the water to a 70 gallon wet/dry sump which in turn feeds a sand filter.
The tank has large pebbles as substrate and four powerful powerheads at each corner. But still a lot of debris collects at the bottom and i feel that since the drainage pipes are at the top the water at the bottom is left untouched even though the powerheads help move the water.

Anyways the tank is empty now and i am willing to start working on it. My plan is to layer the tank with an undergravel filter under the large pebbles, and connect xlarge powerheads (4or more) to the UGfilter. I am hoping that the debris will work its way through the pebbles to the trays below and the powerheads should suck all the rubbish out and push it to the top of the tank where the jets will be pointed. Hopefully there's going to be a better chance for the water below to be drained out.
I decided to share this with you guys since most of you have large tanks and experience so your comments will be appreciated.

Its a bit long for m first post but anyways, Thanks.

hamadee87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Dubai
I think my post is scaring people off rather than inviting any suggestions :screwy: Please guys just write ur opinions about what u read and wat u would do ..................... thnx

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Could you possibly post a photo of what you have?

Don't be discouraged by the lack of replies. Not everyone can check the site for new posts every day.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
yeah photos would help us tremendously!

hamadee87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Dubai
This is a diagram of my tank. I hope it explains itself.

tank.jpg

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
I have a lot of large tanks and a lot of them are hooked together so I'm used to filtering large water volumes.

When you say that you "can not filter it clean" it makes me wonder if the tank is going through a "start up cycle" and what you see as dirty water is really just the bacterial bloom that you get when you start a tank without using a "jump start" chemical.

If this is the problem then I can recomend a solution, don't lose hope I'm certain that we can get the tank under control with the filter you already have.

I won't be home untill Sunday night but I will try and check this before I go to bed.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
debri collects at the bottom, you can do a under gravel jet system. some people do this so no debri can even fall to the bottom. do not use a under gravel filter system tho, they are useless.

hamadee87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Dubai
Does anyone have a good example of an underground jet system?
Thanks guys and repair...waiting for ur reply.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store