i caught a mantis shrimp. but what kind???

ersico

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
SOUTH CAROLINA
i caught this fellow at folly beach, south carolina low tide from a hole he was peeking out of...about 15 feet from a rock jetty in about 2 inches of water....water temp is near 67 F. he has green eyes. and yellow/navy blue on its tail...........these are be best pics i could take of it....................its bout 5 inches long too

enjoy.

DSC06293.JPG

DSC06295.JPG

DSC06298.JPG

DSC06299.JPG

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
My guess from looking at that link is either a squilla empusa or a squilla rugosa.
I'm no expert though. Although I think you are a little too far north for a rugosa. But anyway just what I think I want to see if I get it right when someone that does know exactly what it is posts. Anyway any type of mantis shrimp is going to be awesome cool catch!

ersico

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
SOUTH CAROLINA
Squilla empusa yup thats the one............unfortunately it didnt last long...........the spider crab made meal of it.............. :( that sucked soo bad.......this is not what i thought was going to happen........apparently i was very wrong

doglegdd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2008
Lafayette LA
To bad the crab ate it and it was not you. Those things are better than shrimp. We eat them in Spain all the time and are much bigger than 5 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store