150 gallon plywood aquarium front face modification and background

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
i went off of garfs plywood tank plans after trying to eliminate the four joints in the front face with bondo cracked open everytime and several attempts to repair almost a gallon of bondo later and weak top strip that i didnt much care for i cut it all out with my skillsaw lost some length so i will have to get my glass cut i live nearby so no biggie the piece i replaced this with consisted of four 2by 4s and a 3 quarter inch subfloor piece i placed the pieces flat on the 3 and a half side not the inch and one half then i laid the plywood on top after gluing and screwed it all together seperately from the rest of the tank so i could cut the hole out i went 3 and a halh inches on my cuts the same dimmentions as a 2 by 4 and patched all screwholes i put extta effort into this piece because my glass is going to sit against the plywood nad the 2by fours sit outside the plywood flush to the rest of the tank so the glass will actually sit 2 inches inside the build i also built a stand that the tank sits inside low to the ground because my tv stand is built in on top but is incomplete rough framed the end result a very strong front face on the aquarium and i cut the hole out so theire was no joints i painte the face gloss black and and put an aquarium background across the the back of the inside that i glued in with silicone this is already waterproof quick easy and relatively inexpensive it cost me 20 for the picture and four dollars for the silicone im going to put an extra step in and either sheet it with something clear a piece of glass polyurythane or some epoxy havnt thought of very many things to seal it in with yet and am working on it and i am definately looking for more suggentions on this did i mention this took me less than 20 minutes

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
I think that's a record for the longest run-on sentence...

But seriously, according to Butch at Pondarmor, bondo is not a good thing to use with aquarium builds. I asked, I was going to do the same thing. Apparently Bondo deteriorates relatively fast, and absorbes moisture. What he did suggest was to use a high performance non shrinking putty for gap filling in wood, or for real large gaps, to use hydraulic cement.

Hope that helps

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
the only bondo on the inside of my tank the glass sits against and over top of that is sealer of coarse any worries about any sort deterioration it is my opinion would be due to improper sealing wood rots as well

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
PERIODS AND PARAGRAPHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snakeheader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
ohio
pics?

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
sorry about the poor typing edicate i spend most of my time in consrtuction and rarely see a computer this one is my girlfriends ill have to get her to show me how to post pictures on this thing i dont even know where to look on this site to do that

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
bigbaddad;1772126;1772126 said:
sorry about the poor typing edicate i spend most of my time in consrtuction and rarely see a computer this one is my girlfriends ill have to get her to show me how to post pictures on this thing i dont even know where to look on this site to do that
Welcome to MFK. Punctuation is not important. Keeping water off the floor is !!:D

easydoesit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
New England
oh man, punctuation is atleast a little bit important. capital letters, however.. are not.:)
i cant even finish reading that whole run on sentence/paragraph.
good luck with whatever it is youre doing though.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
ok i just figured out how to post some pics now that ive got that far ill work on some better ones

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
bigbaddad;1772126;1772126 said:
no worries man!!! were not in English class but it is a little hard to read! haha i gave up after the first few lines :cheers:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store