Good Price???

mdspurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I stopped in at the LFS this past weekend and they had a Perfecto 220 gallon tank sitting there on the ground. When I inquired about the price, I was told that it was already sold. The LFS had an auction a couple weeks ago for the local police department and some manufacturer reps were in town ordering and selling different size tanks on site. Tanks were going for $2 a gallon. These are basic tanks, no accesories included, no overflows. Do people consider $440.00 a good price still?

The owner said it was such a good turnout that they'll be doing it next year. I hate to wait a whole year, but if the price is right, I guess i'll have to just suck it up till then.

Sic_Maggot13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
San Diego
mdspurl;1769934; said:
I stopped in at the LFS this past weekend and they had a Perfecto 220 gallon tank sitting there on the ground. When I inquired about the price, I was told that it was already sold. The LFS had an auction a couple weeks ago for the local police department and some manufacturer reps were in town ordering and selling different size tanks on site. Tanks were going for $2 a gallon. These are basic tanks, no accesories included, no overflows. Do people consider $440.00 a good price still?

The owner said it was such a good turnout that they'll be doing it next year. I hate to wait a whole year, but if the price is right, I guess i'll have to just suck it up till then.
personally if it was just the tank no. i picked up a 200 with stand, capony and crappy filter for 350 :D but got rid of it to get a 135

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
For our area it isn't a bad price, but you can pick up a used one cheaper. It all depends on if you want that new car smell or can live with something that has been broke in. I'm cheap and usually go for the used stuff.

mdspurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
bump...looking for more opinions...

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
I think it's a good price. Here a 210 is $900, just for the tank.

morgancouple

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Morgan, Utah
We just got our 125g and we paid just under $1400 for the tank, glass top, lights, solid oak stand, undergravel filter, 2 powerheads, 2 HOB filters, 2 heaters, gravel, pump and some silk plants. I think we got a pretty good deal, it's not the put it togethet stuff from petsmart but nice and solid from a LFS. Can't wait to finish the basement and get a bigger one......Think I saw a 2000g in another post...lol

crashinc25

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Yucaipa, CA
Man, I think there is some serious pricing issues with the members here. $440.00 for a 220 is WAY below even my wholesale purchase price. a 100g acrylic is like $300.00 new.

mdspurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I thought it sounded like a good deal as well. I asked the owner what his selling price was on a 220 (with no extras), he said it would run me around 900.00. The funny part was that it was his son who gave up the 2.00 a gallon pricing.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
I was talking to Mike, the owner of the store in question, a couple weeks before the event. Yes, crash, it is below wholesale. He was selling the tanks at a loss in the hopes of making some up on the back end. Their everyday items are a bit higher in price than say, PetSmart. He was mainly promoting this event in order to raise money for the local police department's K9 unit. They are retiring multiple dogs, and it costs a fortune to train new ones.

The exact deal was: $1/gal. up to 75gal. Then $2/gal. up to 220gal. Factory reps were on hand to take orders directly from customers and tanks were delivered the following week.

In summation, it's a great deal and a good cause.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store