salting tank? quick question

SkiPro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
Whitby
ok so i have been told many times by a bunch of different people that 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water will help make nitrites less harmfull to fish.. well i have a stupid question i have sea salt but not aquarium salt will this work the same??

CORVETTE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA
from what i've read on here no sea salt doesn't work the same. I don't think it lowers nitrites but it does help fish that are stressed and or injured to heal faster.

SkiPro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
Whitby
well i was only told it helps make the nitrites less toxic to the fish i just want to know if the sea salt will harm the fish sooo thanks for your info i am trying to learn as much as i can.

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
Any noniodized salt can be used. Don't jump on this salt kick and start adding this stuff indiscriminately. Just do regular water changes to reduce nitrate levels. Adding salt is the kind of thing that many subscribe to, but few have a good reason for doing it. When a fish becomes ill, everyone starts adding salt to their tanks....but WHY?

SkiPro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
Whitby
well i am adding it because i have been told it will help reduce the toxcisity of nitrites?? what is your oppinion on that idea brianp i have not put any in as of yet waiting for more oppinions.

gonnelro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
New Jersey
Skipro, instead of trying to detoxify your nitrites, you should try to eliminate them. A well established tank should never have any ammonia or nitrite (at leats enough to show up on your test kit). This can be accomplished by having an adequate filtration system, such that you have enough beneficial bacteria in your filter to clean out all of these compounds. After that, keep up with the water changes to keep your nitrates and other organic compounds low. Thats the basics of fish keeping, and if you follow that you will have no problems (try to keep a stable pH as well). Basically, add salt if your fish are stressed, if youre having some specific problem, but do not use it as a regular additive. How big is your tank, whats in it, and what type of filtration do you have?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I add salt everytime i do a waterchange. and i use rock salt for water softeners. no need to buy salt specific for aquariums, its the same stuff. a wise man once told me it helps with the slime coating on fish which in turn will help them fight off disease/parasites, etc.

Ive always used salt, and unless I see it start to affect my fish negatively, I see no reason to stop using it

gonnelro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
New Jersey
Some fish respond well to salt, some dont. I used to use it in my tanks regularly, then I read some sources on the internet that said long-term use could lead to health problems, though I cant remember what they cited as the potential problems. All I know is that it is unnecessary as a normal additive, but can be beneficial as it can help to do things like kill parasites and inhibit nitrite intake in the event of a nitrite spike. Besides that, some people think it has negative effects if used regularly over a long period, so I wouldnt use it in that manner. Then again, some people do use it, like jcardona1, and havent had any problems, so I guess the jurys still out.

SkiPro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
Whitby
well i understand how to get rid of nitrites but that is easier said then done when the tank was not cycled so right now the salt is the best option as far as i know. the only reason i am having this problem is because the bigger tank that was my holding tank for a month or 2 cracked so i have no other choice but to deal with this nitrite problem. iv got a eheim pro and an aquaclear 20 on a 10 gallon tank i am trying to keep the nitrites low and the fish alive. i have a 75 ordered and should be up and running and cycled this time soon enough ohh and the fish is only 2.5-3 in long so i hope it will be alright for a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store