how to kill unwanted polyps

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ok recently I had an infestation of an unwanted invasive anemone. Unfortunately they had already released their gametes into the water most likely for asexual reproduction. So instead of soaking all of my LR in RO water and killing every piece or by purchasing some possibly harmful remedy since the tank was a nano I created a new method to eliminate these pesky little guys.
Here is what you will need:
trash bag (the bigger the better)
magnifying glass with decent magnification
exacto knife
lemon juice
3 %hyrdogren peroxide
2 cups
a plastic straw
What you need to do:
Step 1- Set out the plastic bag on a flat surface in a well lit area
Step 2-Go to your tank and take out a piece of LR
Step 3- Use your magnifying glass to look for the polyps (they look like a orange dot when removed from the water).
Step 4-Carefully cut the polyp away from the live rock
Step 5- Use your cup to pour lemon juice into
Step 6- Take the plastic straw and put the tip in the lemon juice
then use your finger to hold the lemon juice in the straw
Step 7- Hover the straw over where the polyp was and release your finger from the top of the straw to allow the lemon juice to flow out
Step 8- With another cup pour about equal amounts of tap water to the 3% hydrogen peroxide (or what ever percent you have that is used for disinfecting wounds) I decided to dilute it even more just to make sure I didn't kill any of the LR I wanted alive
Step 9- do the same thing with the hydrogen peroxide as done with the lemon juice
Step 10- Repeat as many times as you have polyps
Step 11- Rinse off the LR before adding it back to your tank

This method worked extremely well for me since I have a nano tank and cannot simply kill all of my LR by soaking it in RO water. It is important to kill the polyps when they are young before they reproduce otherwise it takes a long time to get rid of all of them. I'll update the post soon with pictures of the process.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
if there are gametes in the water what was the point of all this? they'll reattach once the rock is replaced.....

i would just get a peppermint shrimp or two

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Well you have to wait until all of them have gone through metamorphism in to a polyp. Then you find every little bugger and exterminate them. It works better when you catch it early. Raising the temp in your tank helps the change from gamete to polyp happen faster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store