Strange Goby behavior

azcummins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Texas!
I got this yellow watchman Goby last week and for the first two days he sat in a corner at the bottom of the tank, then he dug himself a cave underneath some live rock, now all he does is hover in the upper regions of my tank.

Any clue on why he'd act like this? Plus his body color has turned darker.

He's been eating normal and my water levels are fine, so I'm confused on why a bottom dweller who all of the sudden hang out at the top of my tank - and in the wide open.

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
sounds like hes doing okay. mine has been up and down for as long as ive had him so no real constant behavior on my end lol. He could be stressed, maybe just give him a few more days to settle in. Also make sure the clown is not picking on him, normally they would hide more and be out less but who knows lol.

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
when i first got my goby it made its "home" at the back of the powerhead...until a few days then it found a nice rock to live under....it's nervous poor thing and clownfish are allways happy and excited about everything! doing their little tail wag thang...

to me it looks really pretty and colourful...:D

azcummins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Texas!
the only thing lurking in the rocks is a starfish. He had a nice cave home for 2 days, then he started flying around the tank all the time. He still eats like a champ but he's kinda annoying...its like having an ADD fish!

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
lol ADHD i believe is the term for hyper-activeness. Beside the point, make sure he stays eating well and things should calm down in a few more days. Remember every fish is different. Also important to remember that anything can come with live rock so i made it a habit to look at my tank a little bit after the lights go out. LED night lights are nice for this. besides im usually up anyways lol.

azcummins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Texas!
I think he's put out b/c my clownfish keeps snuggling with him...yes...snuggling. The goby will be lying on the bottom and the clownfish will come down to his level and lie on top of the sand next to the Goby.

I think the clownfish is in heat... :drool::drool:

young_skywalker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Idaho
watchman gobies are known for behavior like that. It is probably stressed but they are known to hang out at the top of the tank periodically. mine liked my powerheads and skimmer return. they also like to take mouth fulls of sand and swim up into the water column and drop the sand all over your rock work and corals

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store